Credit Karma - Bright Future | Glassdoor

"Bright Future"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

- recently funded by top-tier VC
- strong foundational business model
- great work environment and culture, employees are spoiled
- growing rapidly, I'm talking 2-3 new hires a week rapid
- CEO is a visionary and inspirational man
- very apparent and direct about company goals moving forward
- open communication and access to all levels of management for discussions or improvements
- extremely smart and talented individuals all around
- very strong work/life balance

Cons

- growing so fast that we are running out of office space!

Advice to Management

Get some new office space.

Other Employee Reviews for Credit Karma

"More Wall Street than Silicon Valley"

I worked at Credit Karma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Brilliant and nice people
    -Decent perks
    -Rising Star in the Fin-Tech sector

Cons

-Politics
    -Focus on short term profits and exit
    -Cutthroat nature

Advice to Management

I have mixed feelings about Credit Karma. Brought on during a time of rapid growth and transition, from what I could deduce, Credit Karma had all the positive hallmarks and epitomized all the great things about startup culture in the Valley.

Namely:
    Camaraderie, Teamwork, No-Red Tape, A Fail Fast/Learn Fast culture.

As success brought the ever expanding growth of the company, I believe Credit Karma tried very hard to keep these traits alive and well. Unfortunately, all the trappings of success hit Credit Karma hard in my sincere opinion. People became more political, more cautious, less inclined to take risks, and I believe the company is ultimately suffering for it.

Recent top management changes I believe doubled down on this rapid decent in culture. There was a paradigm change in that that personal performance (often politically or short termed focused) was given top priority. Many people that made coming in every day a delight and I enjoyed working with were let go for what appeared to me as spurious* reasons. I saw more scapegoating and a disturbing 'hard-core' approach to talent management. The startup ethos of passion over short term profits is no longer a proposition. In the end, the only thing that mattered was the short-term bottom line.

As to why this change occurred, I believe that investors are looking more and more to an exit. Thus - anything and anybody in that path of that must is deemed: 'disposable.' I often ask myself if I can blame management at a 'personal' level for taking this position? When you are 'borrowing' millions from others, can one take any other position? Thus, for this truth - do not make any personal judgement calls.

Furthermore, I don't believe that Credit Karma is all bad, I think for more junior roles, it offers a chance to build you a career at a successful tech-finance company. I think the overwhelming majority of people there are great and are still great. For mid-level and senior roles, I urge caution - Credit Karma is now as cutthroat as any Wall Street bank. I admit this new culture could play well with certain personalities. Some people may relish a more aggressive work environment and thrive. No doubt, much of my sentiments come from falling on the wrong side of this divide.

For those seeking a place where inter-personal integrity, loyalty, and focus on employees and the company mission is the greater the focus vs. short-term profits; I recommend one look elsewhere. If you're seeking a place where you strap on to a rocket and are comfortable with taking on all the career risks, pitfalls, and instability associated with that - Credit Karma is the place for you.

*Many employees were 'let go' from what I can conclude due to vesting of equity.

Credit Karma Response

Aug 18, 2015 – VP of Talent Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful and candid feedback. Credit Karma's culture has naturally evolved throughout our growth. Our employees are working very hard at preserving the values that we have always ... More

"Great environment, Strong company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great business, and balance sheet, not at the mercy of the VC funding
    -New tech, progressive and aggressive engineering achievements
    -Still nimble. Big initiatives can still get shipped rapidly
    -Great location in SF
    -Lots of diversity, fun culture
    -Successful transition out of small start up mode
    -Career mobility within the company is supported and encouraged

Cons

-There are people that enjoy and excel in small companies (<100 employees), and there are people that prefer larger (>500) companies. Issues and complaints about change within a growing company are not unique to this industry.
    -Providing a training budget for everyone is great, but often time is not allocated for people to make use of it. More focus and prioritization on individual development would be great.
    -Neighborhood around the office is great but can be loud.