CreditCards.com - Lots changing, things are looking up. | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Lots changing, things are looking up."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at CreditCards.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working at CCCOM in Austin toward the beginning of a deluge of changes that have transformed the tech department. We have a lot of legacy code around here, and various management-level logjams have ben broken since then, so we are modernizing our tech stack (and hiring people!) as fast as we can. That means lots of fun new toys, chances to have your voice heard in architecture discussions, and frequent releases to score "wins" as a team. And the teams-- the tech department is growing, vibrant, friendly, fun, and ambitious. Our fearless leaders, Kamelia, Todd, and Paul, are actively setting things up so we can grow and succeed. Some great new benefits were also recently introduced. The new remote work policy frees me up to travel more, and the company will reimburse me for high-quality professional development training.

Cons

At the software engineer level, I see two big things that affect morale negatively. The first is legacy code-- you may occasionally be beckoned into a haunted house. Prepare to remember words and software versions you haven't seen in 5-7 years. That sucks, but it's going away as fast as we can kill it. Second is shifting product priorities. As we work to remediate technical debt, we also have to respond to market imperatives. Every team has had their priorities turned on a dime at one time or another. It can be frustrating, but we all understand, and most people here are buoyant enough not to let it bring them down. The new priority is usually interesting in its own way.

Advice to Management

I really feel like I can talk to management if I feel they need advice. Usually I don't. They've set off in the right direction, working to slash tech debt, bring in new talent, and compete with some exciting, forthcoming new products.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Felt like a hostile takeover; became a toxic environment with low employee morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at CreditCards.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a long-established, profitable company which has been purchased by a much larger, established, profitable company. If you are a young professional or fresh out of college who fits in with Red Ventures culture, you will do well.

Cons

The new parent company tends to be insular, very bossy, highly centralized, and ignores dissenting expertise that come from outside HQ. Company culture borders on tribal, even cultish, which has made for a difficult transition since the buyout. Leadership tends to be domineering and top-down while being all smiles and professing to be free of hierarchy.

Because the parent company is based in the Carolinas, they have difficulty grasping the cost of salaries and real estate in Austin. This has negatively affected staffing levels and compensation.

The Austin office will lose its bonus plan and transition its benefits to the parent company’s in January 2019.

Everyone with knowledge of the business or industry in Austin has been fired or quit. Almost no senior-level talent remains. Thanks to layoffs and attrition since November 2017, the Austin office is now approximately 45 people, down from 120.

Any feedback provided by the Austin office to the parent company tends to result in combative, defensive responses from HQ.

Advice to Management

If you’re serious about keeping the Austin office open, move the business unit’s leadership to Austin. Operate it as an independent business unit. Get to know the team and work with them directly instead of swooping in occasionally to fire people and have an office happy hour. If you don’t find value in the existing culture and talents of the Austin office, then be merciful and just close the office now.

"Gone downhill, fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at CreditCards.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package, for now. That will change in January 2019 when new owners' package kicks in. Farewell, bonuses.

Cons

New, domineering management since acquisition by Red Ventures in fall of 2017
    Salary and benefit cuts coming
    Fearful atmosphere
    Layoffs and more layoffs

Advice to Management

Rather than kill the company slowly, which is what you're doing now, just shut it down. Its cruel what you are doing.

Discover more reviews about CreditCards.com.