Cree - Great for a New Engineer - Difficult Balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cree

"Great for a New Engineer - Difficult Balance"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Incredible experience in a fast pace manufacturing environment
-Plenty of great minds to mentor you in first few years out of college
-Industry changing products
-Great bonuses and stock program which can lead to big bursts of income
-Great career paths are possible but extremely competitive, however lateral movement for better career fit is frowned upon and sometimes denied.

Cons

-In my experience, management is a direct reflection of their superior, this causes narrow mindedness and rushed reactions
-Very shortsighted for immediate revenue gain and stock movement
-I always get the same answer from management, "I want you to improve the process without changing the process."
-Extremely demanding. It is difficult to have the proper work life balance. Work late nights and weekends when needed.
-As a standard the practice the management tries to get as much production and development with as few resources as possible, this includes people and equipment

Advice to Management

Please, please, please stop micromanaging. There is a reason you pick the best engineers and brightest minds, USE THEM! I have heard of so many ideas get shot down without ever getting any real consideration.

This company will continue to grow despite itself. Incredible technologies in a growing field and some of the leading minds in their fields make this company something special.

Other Employee Reviews for Cree

"You do not want to work here!"

Current Employee - Sales Position in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Position in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work attire is extremely casual- as in, jeans and tshirts
    Gym and cafeteria

Cons

This place reminds me of high school- and not in a good way! Imagine all the socially awkward and nerdy kids you went to school with. This is the place for all of the nerds to gather and compare their vast knowledge of everything among each other. There are bullies and just very inappropriate people here. Very stressful environment. I actually have anxiety even thinking about this place.

Advice to Management

Stop the micro management. Hire people with some personality for a change! The atmosphere is awful...company morale is very, very low.

"Only come here if you are desperate!"

I have been working at Cree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Quarterly bonuses. All you can stand overtime. Benefits are ok, nothing special.

Cons

Plans change far too frequently. Insane lack of planning and forethought. Lack of processes. Lack of manpower. Lack of equipment. Frustratingly inept IT dept. Frustrating work environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop letting marketing dictate product development.