Cree - Better than average benefits but no allowance for a work / family balanced life. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cree

"Better than average benefits but no allowance for a work / family balanced life."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC

Pros

- Benefits not bad. At the salaried level stock options are offered which increased my net income this year by over 10%
- Internal and external offered opportunities exist. Cree has been hiring while other companies have been laying off.
- Cree's business and market share is definitely growing.
- Cree has very little "fat". It is very efficient and usually gets the optimal ROI from its people and equipment.
- Promotions and career advancement exist for those willing to make personal sacrifices.

Cons

- 60 hrs/week is viewed as a minimum
- The company's inclement weather policy is "we never close"; Even when there is 8" of snow on the ground.
- Time off is contingent upon upper managements mood. If they feel a department needs to make a better showing of effort (even if it is simply for the purpose of just being seen) you will be at work regardless of the day of the year. This applies to Christmas and other traditional holidays.
- Work environment is optimal only for single workaholics with no social life outside of work.
- At the salaried level, if you're in a manufacturing position, you are on call 24/7/365.
- At the wage level, 12 hour shifts are the norm and often coupled with additional mandatory 12hr work days.
- Expanded manufacturing overseas may soon decrease the size of Cree's domestic work force.

Advice to Management

None to offer. Cree's culture is set by the CEO and his slogan is "whatever it takes to achieve the goal". This no holds barred approach to management gets quantifiable results. From a financial perspective (especially when unemployment is high) there is no incentive for Cree to change.

Other Employee Reviews for Cree

"Cree is by far the best company I've ever worked for and a place where you get to literally change the future."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Cree is a very high-growth technology company that is changing the way we think about lighting. It is fast-pace with no dull moments where you have the ability to change processes every day. From my perspective, Cree has great pay and great benefits including a free onsite gym. It's located in a great location (Raleigh/Durham, NC) and the people are awesome here.

Cons

My only concern is the sudden changes we seem to go through because we don't have the best forecasting ability. We need better systems here as we continue to grow into a larger company.

Advice to Management

Need to change our external perception that we're a sweat shop. We no longer are that, in my opinion, but the public doesn't know that.

"Never join if you have any chance to go somewhere else"

Current Employee - Research Scientist IV in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist IV in Durham, NC

Pros

great relocation, large salary, insurance, less likely to get fired, but not so fast

Cons

you work at least,in best condition minimum 12 hours of heavy work.
    no balance of life and work
    you are absolutely feel like slave
    not much talent needed
    low hourly rate for large salary/year
    as it says whatever it takes to get the job done
    people most often leave than getting fired
    not a long term job
    it is so bad it is useless to make any advice, they do whatever to get the job done

before joining be very careful. people are there because it is a job to pay the bill. i am there since i have to feed a family