Cree - Increase shareholder value, no matter what. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cree

"Increase shareholder value, no matter what."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Free gym and an on-site cafe.
Decent benefits including medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, stock purchase plan
Winter party every year for employees

Cons

- Work/life balance does not exist.
- Do whatever it takes to achieve the goal is gospel.
- Some managers are abusive and demeaning to staff.
- Those that complain can and will be replaced.
- Executive level is set in their ways and have no interest in employee morale.
- Little chance of growth within company.
- Little communication from upper management with regard to organizational changes.

Advice to Management

You will get more productivity from your employees if you didn't make them choose between the business and the family. Employees would have less of an issue working 60+ hours a week if they were allowed to leave to attend little Johnny's play at school during the day, or go to the doctor without fear of repercussions. Employees do not feel valued by management or respected yet are expected to respect management. Management do not follow their own value statements.

Other Employee Reviews for Cree

"Better than average benefits but no allowance for a work / family balanced life."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Durham, NC

Pros

- Benefits not bad. At the salaried level stock options are offered which increased my net income this year by over 10%
    - Internal and external offered opportunities exist. Cree has been hiring while other companies have been laying off.
    - Cree's business and market share is definitely growing.
    - Cree has very little "fat". It is very efficient and usually gets the optimal ROI from its people and equipment.
    - Promotions and career advancement exist for those willing to make personal sacrifices.

Cons

- 60 hrs/week is viewed as a minimum
    - The company's inclement weather policy is "we never close"; Even when there is 8" of snow on the ground.
    - Time off is contingent upon upper managements mood. If they feel a department needs to make a better showing of effort (even if it is simply for the purpose of just being seen) you will be at work regardless of the day of the year. This applies to Christmas and other traditional holidays.
    - Work environment is optimal only for single workaholics with no social life outside of work.
    - At the salaried level, if you're in a manufacturing position, you are on call 24/7/365.
    - At the wage level, 12 hour shifts are the norm and often coupled with additional mandatory 12hr work days.
    - Expanded manufacturing overseas may soon decrease the size of Cree's domestic work force.

Advice to Management

None to offer. Cree's culture is set by the CEO and his slogan is "whatever it takes to achieve the goal". This no holds barred approach to management gets quantifiable results. From a financial perspective (especially when unemployment is high) there is no incentive for Cree to change.

"Cree is by far the best company I've ever worked for and a place where you get to literally change the future."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Cree is a very high-growth technology company that is changing the way we think about lighting. It is fast-pace with no dull moments where you have the ability to change processes every day. From my perspective, Cree has great pay and great benefits including a free onsite gym. It's located in a great location (Raleigh/Durham, NC) and the people are awesome here.

Cons

My only concern is the sudden changes we seem to go through because we don't have the best forecasting ability. We need better systems here as we continue to grow into a larger company.

Advice to Management

Need to change our external perception that we're a sweat shop. We no longer are that, in my opinion, but the public doesn't know that.