Cricket Media - A young company that still acts like a start-up | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cricket Media

"A young company that still acts like a start-up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Cricket Media full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule; casual dress code; passionate, dedicated co-workers

Cons

Lack of corporate structure, policies & controls; poor communication; infighting among department heads; bonuses & raises are only for the executives.

Advice to Management

Focus on the success of the company and making a profit. Care about the employees and compensating everyone equally, not just the top tier of management.

Other Employee Reviews for Cricket Media

1. "Cricket is Reinventing Itself"

I have been working at Cricket Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cricket has impressive staff in both the Herndon and Chicago offices. Intelligent, creative, and professional, each person is a real pleasure to work, and teams are extraordinarily supportive of each other. Management acknowledges and respects individuals with talent, and everyone feels empowered to make suggestions and take the lead on important initiatives. The work we do is creative and satisfying, and the product we produce is something we're all able to take pride in. It should be noted that the company went through a rough couple of years where management had to make some difficult choices in order to keep the company afloat, and of course that lead to dips in morale, which were still evident when I joined the company. But thanks to those choices, Cricket is heading in some exciting, creative directions, and I believe everyone now understands why the hard choices had to be made. I, personally, enjoy my work and my colleagues, and am happier in my professional life than I've been in many years.

Cons

As is the case with many publishing companies these days, staff and budget are very tight and people are asked to juggle a great many roles and responsibilities. But management acknowledges this, and tries not to ask anyone to take on more work than is reasonable. Cross-office communication has also been a bit shaky at times, but there are signs of consistent improvement in that area, as well.

Advice to Management

Because everyone wears so many hats, it's important to clarify roles and project/task ownership so that everyone knows who the decision makers/leads on each team or project are.

"Big improvements in just the past 3 months!"

I have been working at Cricket Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice people and not very much drama or politics in the office. Great heath insurance benefits. Laid back work culture but the company is somewhat short-staffed so everyone is expected to take on as much work as possible. (Pro: You get to try things you might not have ever tried before which is great for skill-building. Con: Big Workloads and pressure to produce.) Last year was definitely a hard one for the company with a lot of turnover and some missteps. But more recently some big changes were made that made the entire organization function better and as a result the company feels like it is on a more secure and harmonious path.

Cons

The two offices in Virginia and Chicago don't have enough contact so it often feels like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and there is occasionally an "us versus them" mentality about who is going to manage or develop projects. Still seems like a lot of turnover. Significant amount of meetings which makes it difficult to get things done.

Advice to Management

Encourage more travel between the two offices so that employees can get to know each other and know who to call with questions. In-person meetings are always more effective than conference calls.