CrowdStar - Went from an optimistic place to a sinking ship that didn't care about quality. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CrowdStar

"Went from an optimistic place to a sinking ship that didn't care about quality."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were the best I've ever worked with. A positive, talented team. We were really in it together. We shared in the victories and the frustrations and really banded together. I think the negativity of the company brought all the employees together.

They have the usual perks of the valley. Catered lunch, yoga, company outings, ping pong, games, etc etc.

Cons

When I started there was a real drive to bring the "magic" back into their titles. They focused on new things that weren't just the sexist, stereotypical "girl games" that they were riding comfortably on. They wanted something special.

That changed. The founders left the company, user acquisition got expensive, and the new CEO found it was just easier to focus on the world of "girl games". Gone was the optimism of developing great software, and all that mattered was fitting in more and more ads, and making games impossible to play without in app purchases. Nobody was proud of the work that was taking place when I left.

The new CEO (Not Peter Relan as stated on here, but Jeffrey Tseng) really steered the company into a nose dive when he took over. Morale became as low as I've ever seen anywhere, and the games took a back seat to whatever management whims were that week.

Advice to Management

The focus and goals of the company changed weekly. Everybody felt in the dark to what kind of company they were working for. I think the company needs to get back to more of a "startup feel" and be up front with what is going on, what the business goals are, and what the long term successes will be. Are they looking to be acquired? Then say so. If they want to downsize to just one or two games? Then say that too.

Other Employee Reviews for CrowdStar

"Talented individuals lead by the blind"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

catered lunch, great co-workers, good pay

Cons

upper management only cares about protecting bloated titles, poor design run every game franchise into the ground

Advice to Management

If you want the company to succeed, step aside or quit. At some point you have to look at the dwindling lanscape and realize you have put the company there due to your incompetence. Realize that just because you have a business title, it doesn't mean you are qualified to make major decisions. Secret meetings where people, who have never developed a game before, are making poor game designs is not a way to run a game company.

You are a victim of your own success, and now you can't replicate those early facebook or mobile days. You cannot throw up any carelessly designed game and make money. If everyone on art and programming says it's a bad game or design, it probably is.

Promote people who study game design, and have tangible development skills, into decision making positions. If you continue to promote people who will say anything to please those above them, or people on the sole basis that they have a business title, you will continue to fail.

The f2p game market is a shark tank of very talented teams. You can't compete with your current upper management. Stop drinking your own water. Finally, stop lying to your teams about how things are going just so people don't question how incompetent you are.

"Great Culture; not so great Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at CrowdStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented people to work with; people who know their stuff
    Incredible salary and silicon-valley contending perks like free lunch, happy hour, awesome salary, ping-pong table, yada yada

Cons

Very poor prioritization of what's important for the games, or for the employee
    Poor top down management with a little too much micro-management at time
    Poor work-life balance, although this is not unusual in struggling start-ups
    Too little autonomy for game "owners" with most of the direction coming from management

Advice to Management

There is hope for CrowdStar, but the hope will only be as good as things changing from the way they currently are for the better; Crowdstar really needs to prioritize what's really important otherwise yearly turnover will remain at or higher than 50%