Crowe Horwath - Great Place to Learn, Limited Opportunities to Grow | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Crowe Horwath

"Great Place to Learn, Limited Opportunities to Grow"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Tax Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn,
Wide variety of clients to work on
Great benefit including PTO
Great people
Great Place to Start your Career

Cons

Lacks consistent leadership
Performance is said to be the reason for promotions, but in the end tenure always trumps
Pay is typically below market unless you leave the firm and come back (in my office we had a Sr. Staff leave and come back less than 12 months later as a Sr. Manager)
Coaching and career development program is a joke, nobody take it seriously and most partners are unwilling to provide feedback
Unless you are in one of the original Midwest markets you only opportunity to make partner is to go to a new market that they are trying to develop, but from what I have seen are unwilling to provide the resources needed for these new "partners" to excel

Advice to Management

Review your salary data or you will continue to lose quality employees
Make leadership more transparent and give more power back to the local office partners
Review your criteria for promotions or people at the manager and above level will continue to look for opportunities where they can make partner faster

Other Employee Reviews for Crowe Horwath

"Great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great firm to work for out of college.
    Excellent support resources and an open work environment.

Cons

Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed.
    Poor collaboration amoung managers limited efficiency, resulting in longer work hours.

Advice to Management

Crowe is struggling to redefine their national image as a large national accounting firm, while at the same time claiming to maintain their small firm values. Management needs to communicate a clearer image / firm mission, in order to let their employees and clients know with whom they are working. Perhaps this will reduce the high turnover experienced amoung the staff and senior staff levels. I believe Crowe will continue to grow, but it is hard to tell what they will ultimately become.

2. "Occasionally long hours, but great people and benefits"

Current Intern - Tax Intern in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Intern - Tax Intern in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people. Nice atmosphere. Culture seems very friendly. Haven't really met anyone I didn't like at Crowe. Nice amenities in the office. Office looks very nice.

Cons

Sometimes you might work a bit longer than you like when deadlines approach, probably more if you're working busy season, but as an intern you get overtime pay if you exceed 40 hours. Not a huge deal, seems typical of public accounting. Occasionally you might get stuck with not much to do as a summer intern, but ask around and you'll find something. No PTO as an intern, holidays aren't paid but you get time off, but I can't really complain.

Advice to Management

I think management does a good job, just continue to listen to employees for suggestions or when they need help. I like that the management encourages a friendly and open atmosphere, so keep that up.