Crown Prosecution Service - Dead end job, generally bad employer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Crown Prosecution Service

"Dead end job, generally bad employer"

Current Employee - Administrative in Stafford, England (UK)
Current Employee - Administrative in Stafford, England (UK)

I have been working at Crown Prosecution Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very occasionally you might get the feeling that you have somehow contributed to putting a bad guy behind bars

Cons

I know I has a particularly bad time at the CPS, so my review inevitably has a negative slant.

When I joined the website boasted career prospects "The only question you have to ask, is how far do you want to go?" This was the antithesis of what I found. The CPS represents the very worst symptoms of being a public sector organisation. All that matters is ticking boxes. The fact that in reality the job isn't done means nothing to the management. The staff are a mixture of hard working saints that stop the place from sinking under water completely, and the rest only got the job because they ticked boxes in the interview. Three Senior Crown Prosecutors, responsible for putting rapists behind bars, crowded around a PC, baffled because they can't open an Excel document in MS Word. I could give a million examples that illustrate how stupid most of the people I worked with were; the simple fact is, if you're a good employee, then you should only work for a good employer. There is a reason the CPS ends up with the worst people. In my office there was a huge staff turn over of 'good' employees, but not so much of the bad ones.

Advice to Management

Privatise state prosecutions, give up, the organisation is a joke, Stop giving yourselves massive voluntary exit pay outs whenever you fee like leaving, and cut the crap.

Other Employee Reviews for Crown Prosecution Service

1. "CPS Lawyer"

Current Employee - Senior Crown Prosecutor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Crown Prosecutor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Crown Prosecution Service part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting and varied work. never boring.

Cons

Unfair pay structure. Lawyers doing the same job are paid with as much as 17 k variance.
    Constant changes imposed by senior management.

Advice to Management

Do back to back courts to appreciate the pressure and workload instead of micro managing us.

2. "Clerk"

I have been working at Crown Prosecution Service part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Part time available. Government pension scheme. Flexi time. 30 days per year annual leave allowance.

Cons

Heavy workload. Poor management. Shabby offices and equipment.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about what is a manageable workload.