Cummins - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Director in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture at Cummins is one of caring, politeness and genuine desire to do what is right - for employees, customers, and communities.

Cons

Like every company, there are sometimes bad employees. Cummins is notorious for not addressing those bad employees as quickly as one might like so they stick around, 'infect' others, and spread their negativity and misalignment with company values for far too long.

Advice to Management

Swiftly address poor performance, misbehavior, or those that aren't a good fit for our culture of kindness. Everyone deserves a second chance, but not everyone should be allowed a third, fourth, fifth, etc. One bad apple really can spoil the bunch.

Cummins2019-12-06
  1. "Cummins Work Life Balance Really Good"

Current Employee - Product Validation Engineer

I have been working at Cummins full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, open space working enviroment

Cons

compensation and benefit could be better

Cummins2020-01-13
  2. "Great Company, but Low Job Security"

Former Employee - TECHNICAL OPERATIONS GROUP LEADER in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, good work/life balance, fully paid maternity/paternity leave, good advancement and mobility opportunities, good retirement savings and pension options, tuition assistance

Cons

Cyclical reductions in force (mass layoffs) lead to uncertain job security

Advice to Management

I loved my job at Cummins and I was good at what I did. In my time there, I made many improvements in the departments I worked, and saved the company millions. I intended to retire from Cummins one day. But during a Reduction in Force (RIF) my position was eliminated. I'm not saying I was the best employee ever, but the improvements and the advancements I made for the company did not save my job, and I know dozens of others who have been or are in the same boat. There has got to be a better way than just cutting thousands of dedicated and loyal employees every few years. If you have to reduce your numbers, the decisions need to be made more selectively. Aside from myself, I know a few employees that were absolutely necessary to the respective operations in which they worked. Despite their being, by all accounts, indispensable, they were also cut. Those operations will falter without them, but the people that made the decisions are too high up and too far removed from the actual operation to see the importance of these specific individuals. In the end, not only do we lose a career, but Cummins loses some of it most important assets and nobody wins.

Cummins2020-01-16

Discover more reviews about Cummins.