Cummins - I only wanted to work here for a short while. It's been 6 years already. | Glassdoor
  1. "I only wanted to work here for a short while. It's been 6 years already."

Current Employee - Electrical Systems Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Great work-life balance. 2. Great bunch of talented people. 3. Great potential. Constantly innovating. 4. Very ethical and always follows core values.

Cons

1. Very process oriented - can slow things a little. 2. Extremely boring location. If they move to a bigger city - I will look to retire here. 3. Some bad managers who bully employees but the ethics helpline is awesome and would kick their butt in seconds.

Cummins2019-12-11
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager - Law in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to find application for your expertise

Cons

Not a place for a lazy person

Cummins2019-12-05
  2. "Great Company, but Low Job Security"

Former Employee - TECHNICAL OPERATIONS GROUP LEADER in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, good work/life balance, fully paid maternity/paternity leave, good advancement and mobility opportunities, good retirement savings and pension options, tuition assistance

Cons

Cyclical reductions in force (mass layoffs) lead to uncertain job security

Advice to Management

I loved my job at Cummins and I was good at what I did. In my time there, I made many improvements in the departments I worked, and saved the company millions. I intended to retire from Cummins one day. But during a Reduction in Force (RIF) my position was eliminated. I'm not saying I was the best employee ever, but the improvements and the advancements I made for the company did not save my job, and I know dozens of others who have been or are in the same boat. There has got to be a better way than just cutting thousands of dedicated and loyal employees every few years. If you have to reduce your numbers, the decisions need to be made more selectively. Aside from myself, I know a few employees that were absolutely necessary to the respective operations in which they worked. Despite their being, by all accounts, indispensable, they were also cut. Those operations will falter without them, but the people that made the decisions are too high up and too far removed from the actual operation to see the importance of these specific individuals. In the end, not only do we lose a career, but Cummins loses some of it most important assets and nobody wins.

Cummins2020-01-16

Discover more reviews about Cummins.