Cummins - I couldn't leave fast enough | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cummins

"I couldn't leave fast enough"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling and Columbus, IN. Learning was done through submersion in the engine industry.

Cons

Diversity is taken as a checkbox and I became one of those statistics. My role was based purely on gender and not on qualifications. We had ongoing harassment issues on my team and despite repeated attempts to address it nothing was done. Internal movement inside of the company is a joke. Upwards movement is solely based on time in a team and completion of Six Sigma. Ethics were lost on the project I was working on when push came to shove with deadlines. Safety was not considered and there was a very "out of sight, out of mind" attitude with non-US work.

Other Employee Reviews for Cummins

1. "Great company"

Current Intern - SC in Columbus, IN
    Current Intern - SC in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is manageable. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and develop here. Many employees stay for most of their career.

Cons

Not many cons to speak of working at Cummins. Some of the plant locations can be harder to travel to depending on where you live. Hours may vary depending on time of year, production/non production.

Advice to Management

Help everyone see the value of the decisions being made.

"Very different company, watch your back. Keep quiet about anything personal as long as possible."

Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company with product required to meet government emissions requirements. Competitors have to buy Cummins after treatment to comply with gov regulations.
    They are always hiring (big clue here).
    Solid company.

Cons

Passive aggressive HR.
    Union workers can not be managed, they run the place.
    Exempt employees are easy to replace, poor performance by union employees will result in nothing happening to the union guys and the boss getting fired.
    2 year rotation. After 2 years, one is on borrowed time. They require people to find a new position to rotate to. And for a really technical job, 2 years is not really long enough to learn everything. So about the time you get comfy, time to go.
    Cummins has a political agenda, you better be on board.
    Very political environment. They say they make decisions based on data...not true. Better make friends with the bosses.
    Six sigma projects are required at some levels, so they do many unnecessary phony baloney projects.
    Ok for a first job, experienced people will be shocked.

Advice to Management

Good luck with everything.