Currys PC World - My PC world interview | Glassdoor

"My PC world interview"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Grantham, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Grantham, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seemed like honest emloyer, "We pay a flat wage without comission, Your performance will be measured by your ability to sell and making sure the customer gets the right product.." The training opportunities sound great. And they allowed me to show i could sell prouducts as part of the interview.

Cons

Really not sure how honest they want me to be after all they obviously want me to make them money.

Advice to Management

bonuses based on sales would help motivate staff without making them chase comission.

Other Employee Reviews for Currys PC World

1. "Really good employer"

Current Employee - Technician in Wednesbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technician in Wednesbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys PC World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, no high pressure selling

Cons

bonuses are hard to attain, and the only role above technician was management

"A good retail company; a little work and it could be a great one."

Former Employee - Sales Colleague
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague

I worked at Currys PC World full-time

Pros

Funnily enough all the things I thought I'd hate I didn't. I was particularly concerned about the much derided and often poorly rated 'add on' products that Currys is known for (warranties, care packages, cables, antivirus, cloud, installation, premium delivery etc.). When it came to it people either wanted these extras or they didn't; my job as a sales colleague was to offer various extra products based on whatever the customer had bought and to explain them if the customer didn't understand them or otherwise just present them in a good light. Sales staff are expected to sell a certain rate of enhancements but there was no overwhelming pressure to upsell and a good and engaging saleswoman would have no problem meeting her targets without feeling under pressure or having to resort to deceitful tactics. Before I joined Currys I read a number of reviews from people who felt differently and I have no idea whether these colleagues suffered from target-hungry managers or whether they were just poor at their jobs and not able to engage with people and talk to them about the products without feeling compelled to resort to pressure sales tactics.

Overall I found Currys to be a relaxed place to work with a sensible management team who understood that meeting the needs of customers and being an decent shop to do business with was a good long business strategy. The modest staff discount is always better than no staff discount and a competent salesperson who has stuck with the company for a short while can comfortably earn a good wage (for retail) plus a bonus every now and again. Career progression in the long term is not good but at lower levels there is a lot of training available and a lot of ways to get modest pay rises. Although they're not really 'promotions' there are department 'expert' positions to move into and most people who take all the opportunities available will feel as though they have accomplished quite a bit during their first couple of years with the company.

Cons

Poor organisation means that popular consumable and common items or items on promotion (complete with national advertising campaigns) are poorly stocked. It is not unusual to run out of memory cards, cases, cables, screen protectors or other accessories due to the store only holding a minimal amount of each item and major national promotions on larger items (vaccum cleaners for example) might see crowds of people flocking to the store all trying to purchase our inventory of five of each model. It's hardly the end of the world but it's pretty dispiriting to tell every third customer that what they came in for isn't in stock or else it is in stock but all the accessories advertised as bundled with it are out of stock and will be in 'sometime', probably.

Despite generally good ethics all stores have a cable demonstration rigged up which shows a TV fed by one of their own brand 'premium' HDMI cables right next to an identical TV fed by an unshielded analogue cable with the implication that premium HDMI cables lead to a better quality picture. This is not a fair comparison since it is not demonstrating the quality difference between 'premium' HDMI vs 'normal' HDMI but the quality difference between analogue and digital. Bearing in mind premium HDMI cables can run up to £90 this is a pretty poor show. Without going into boring technical details there is no difference between the quality of signal from one of these premium cables and any other cable which has been rated as HDMI standard, these cheaper ones are available online for £3 or so. While I'm happy with the idea of a 'nicer' cable for more money (looks better, lasts longer, stronger etc) I am less comfortable that it is not made plain that the differences are essentially cosmetic. I am equally unsure why nicer connectors = 3000% cost increase. If selling these premium cables were not a target of ours I would find it far less of an issue however I suspect many people get talked into buying them who don't understand them and wouldn't want them if they did.

Customers are more clued up about their legal rights nowadays than when I started in retail. Overall this is really good and translates into dealing with sensible, well educated people who ask for exactly what they're entitled to - no problems there. Unfortunately amidst all of this has flourished a subculture of less well educated people who live by the mantra 'It must be true... I read it on the interwebs.' Cue much hooting about 'I want a refund because every product has to have a two/six year warranty on it by law.' or 'You can't send it off to the manufacturer for repair, my contract is with you not them and I want a brand new one.' A little knowledge is truly a dangerous thing.

Following on from the above it should almost go without saying that whenever you do a job dealing with the general public you will almost certainly find yourself dealing with some self-important, entitled moron giving you abuse for some arbitrary reason for which you are probably not personally responsible. Bonus points if they've mistaken your place of work for a different company.

Finally some of what I sell are services to be carried out away from where I work, things like delivery, installation, technical support, annual PC health checks and warranties. I have no idea how good these services actually are. I'm acting in good faith and I'm pretty confident that the services are good and worth the money -certainly very, very few people come back into store with reasonable and well founded complaints- but it's pretty disconcerting when a customer relates a tale of a similar purchase going wrong in the past (often dodgy delivery men) before asking you how good your deliver drivers (or whatever) are. The answer is that I really don't know - we're too big a company for the sales guys to have that kind of knowledge.

Advice to Management

You're not Apple; you are not as slick, nobody gets excited about your corporate videos, nobody queues up on launch day to buy the latest KnowHow warranty and Currys is not (and probably never will be) cool. Get over it! Quite frankly most of us prefer working for a retailer rather than a cult anyway.

Drop the snake oil with the premium cables. It's not big and it's not clever. It is like putting a neon sign above your shops saying 'charlatans' and giving every sales colleague a badge that says 'con-artist'. You are so close to having a really good public face and then you go and do something stupid like that. Tut tut.

Sort out the stock levels in stores. Yes we don't have the space or budget to hold infinite amounts of high value items. This doesn't mean that we should not drastically increase stock in anticipation of demand that *we are generating* (so pretty easy to predict ;) ) or that we should ever run out of batteries, memory cards or other sundries much less that it should happen predictably and within 24 hours of receiving a delivery.