Cvent - Fantastic place to grow professionally | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cvent

"Fantastic place to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cvent lets me build my career and show my chops to a management team that will actually listen to what I am doing. I like that we all work toward a common goal that is clearly laid out. Cvent is a group of young people trying to change how we do business in the travel space, and Cvent lets me contribute directly without oversight

Cons

It's a work-hard, play-hard type of place. If you are looking for a 9-5 government job, this place is not for you. I wish the senior management would take a few steps back each quarter and give employees a better idea of what is going on and what the vision is for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep tabs on the ground level as the company grows. Your success is attributed to your ability to keep a strong pulse on what is happening, so don't lose that ability as we get bigger.

Other Employee Reviews for Cvent

"A great place to gain a lot of experience."

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started at Cvent, I thought I would be doing the same type of work that I was doing with my prior company. In a very short time, I found myself fulfilling that role and so much more. Cvent provides really great opportunity to take on responsibility and grow your career from the chair you are in. I have already been able to implement many ideas into our current process, and that makes work really rewarding at the end of the day. I have also gained exposure to so many things and really feel as though I am growing as a professional.

My favorite part about Cvent is definitely working with fantastic people. Senior management has a busy schedule, but accessibility comes in the form of being extremely friendly and welcoming. I can easily walk into an office and feel very comfortable talking to Directors, VP's, and above.

Cons

Cvent is growing very rapidly, and there is a growing importance on standardized processes and training. Not all of the processes are in place just yet, and although I find that this provides huge opportunities to contribute new ideas, it can sometimes cause some frustration and growing pains.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people - they bring energy and great ideas.

"Great first programming job out of college."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cvent has been a great start for my programming career. There are experienced programmers that have been good mentors for me, many of them are helpful and patient and the company encourages the collaboration. There are also programmers that have just started their career like me, so I've gotten to learn alongside my peers and train them on occasion too.

The culture is good. The technology group in the company is very relaxed about dress code (jeans and t-shirt are the norm). I haven't met any big egos or programmers that are very territorial about their code. People are generally happy to help you. I'm friends with many of my co-workers and its normal to hang out after work together.

The workplace is well run and efficient. I've seen multiple processes change over the one year that I have worked here, and they didn't change because someone in upper management hear about scrum for the first time. Most of the changes have been driven by bottom up feedback. I trust my managers and project leaders, and when I give them feedback I know they are listening and often implementing my suggestions.

The work is interesting and engaging. Event management itself isn't a fascinating subject, but the programming and mental challenges that I face on a daily basis easily make up for it. I've rarely ever felt bored and underutilized.

The company is doing well. Since its a growing company they haven't been stingy about pay and raises.

There is an office in India, and its not difficult for regular employees to get a heavily subsidized trip to India (travel expenses covered, daily stipend for food, corporate housing, corporate driver). If you don't care about going to India then this might count as a con for you.

Cons

Work life balance is tilted heavily towards 'work' for most of the developers. Its a 45 hour work week, which isn't too bad, but there is often a pressure to work longer hours.

There is not a lot of vacation time or time off in general (two weeks of PTO a year), and the way PTO works is annoying. I know of other companies that base PTO off of the number of hours worked in a week, but cvent does it by the day. So if I have a week where I have asked to take Friday off, if I work for 45 hours Monday-Thursday I still have to use 8 hours of PTO on Friday. I tended to quickly burn through my PTO. The lack of vacation/sick time also doesn't help the work life balance.

Advice to Management

Fix the PTO system, make it based on weekly or biweekly hours worked like many other companies already do.