Cycle Gear - Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

"Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As far as pros go, obviously any job is what you make it. I personally put a lot of effort into the job and in return got a lot out of it. The discount is pretty awesome, if you ride, youll save a lot of money working here. The pay is pretty competative, if you're just starting out be prepared to make a little above minumum wage but give it time and effort and you can easilly get a raise from becoming a key holder (as well as your annual reviews, in two years my hourly pay went up 2.50/hr which is unheard of in most companies.) The stores "reward system" if you will pays out great to the employees that work hard for it such as inter-company contests with monetary rewards ( sometimes very generous) as well as their "Gear Expert" program which based on how well you sell, can double the amount you make when you sell certain items (spiffs) as well as your commission. (makes a huge impact on your paycheck especially in summer months if you work in the northeast like i do) The upper management regularly checks in to the individual stores, especially new ones which allows you to talk one on one with them and give your two cents. (trust me they listen, and if what you have to say makes sense they will try to get it done) GREAT networking tool to work here. Ive made some friends from customers and even some professional contacts that will benefit me in my future endeavors. BIG opportunity for advancement. Cyclegear is opening up new stores at a fast pace and they will give people already working for the company first dibs on new positions. Its a great way to move up fast. Honestly there is probably more to list but like i said its what you make it. If you slack and dont do your job, your pay will ultimately not be as much as it could be which i could see would lead to some negative reviews.

Cons

Goals in winter months are somewhat unrealistic sometimes, 100% satisfaction guarantee is a great thing for customers but i think there should be some stricter limits on what a customer can return. pretty much if they complain about it (regarless of whether or not its their fault) for long enough, management will give the OK to return the item to satisfy the customer, sometimes leaving you with a set of tie downs the customer attempted to suspend his motorcycle from the garage ceiling with, dropping the bike, and blaming the tie downs for not supporting the bike.

but in any job you get your crazies

Advice to Management

Higher starting pay rate

"Great job for students"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty decent employee discounts, fun atmosphere, good stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things in the motorcycle industry.

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay, typical inflexible corporate method of doing things, micro management

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line workers. Customers are generally not interested in poor quality products (ie: Frank Thomas). Empower your employees (or at least asst manager/manager level employees) to make decisions on discounts. Continue to sell at MSRP and Cycle Gear will follow the path of retailers like Best Buy... where consumers walk in to physically exam products before ordering online.