Cycle Gear - Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

"Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more"

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

Cons

The amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Advice to Management

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

"Used to be 5 star back in the day"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employee discount. You gain a lot of knowledge of the industry and about the sport and hobby of motorcycling from dirt, to street, ATV's to cruisers. You also gain great appreciation for the amount of R&D that goes into the safety equipment, like the reason behind a $5 helmet as opposed to a $550 helmet for example. And you'll meet some cool people along the way.

Cons

The downside is the WalMart mentality. This is a specialty retailer, selling safety equipment, parts accessories and apparel that can potentially save somebody's life. Getting the right equipment for the job is crucial to this and with the turn and burn sales approach is not possible to achieve. Way back when it was all about getting the customer, the fellow rider, what they needed, what was right for them, what was going to keep them riding safely and happily it was great! Then along came the Sharper Image approach. "You're not making your sales goal? Okay... NEXT!!!" This may work great when your selling chairs that massage your feet, or pens that have lights built in so you can write in the dark, or maybe a foam, radio controlled helicopter that falls apart when you use it. When it comes to selling a helmet though to a first time rider, its all about getting them the one that fits right, meets their needs and is gonna keep them around long enough to tell their friends and family about the inevitable first crash and have a laugh about it. Cycle Gear's upper management doesn't care about that anymore though. No, just like any corporation, all they care about is how much money they can make. That's why all this BiLT rubbish that you see is out there. Nothing but margin increasing crap! And rather get the riders what they need, they want you to push junk, until you can't push junk anymore, increase sales figures until you hit the ceiling for the store you get stuck in because they've saturated the market so much with their own name and brand that you are competing against not only their website but the store that's 10 minutes down the road. And then when upper management feel the slightest bit of heat from the kitchen their method of putting out the fire is to can the "bottom feeders" or lowest performers, the one's who's unrealistic sales figures aren't being met. It's ridiculous and not worth getting burned out over, save yourself the hassle of being lulled into a false sense of security and go elsewhere. The old days have passed and the Titans that started this company, the ones who made it great, the ones who made it most successful, are sadly long gone. I am surprised that the bean counters and Shylock's that call the shots today have kept it going this long, but their shady but their shady and immoral business ethics will one day come back and bite them in the ass... I hope. There is a lot more but hopefully this is enough to give you a small taste of how bitter this once great place to work has left at least one person.

Advice to Management

Drop the sales goals!!! It's not realistic to try and best your comp when the company is this old and well seasoned. You're own stores are killing each other. You can't have a huge flagship store next to a small store. The small store becomes the return store for the big one, it's numbers dwindle and because of you, your employees suffer because you start the turning and burning process. That's not called progress. You have created and hit, your own glass ceiling, carry on the way you are and you're going to break it bringing it all down on your own heads. There is so much more to be said but I know as well as anybody that still works there, I'd just be pissing in the wind!