Cycle Gear - Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cycle Gear

"Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more"

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

Cons

The amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear

1. "Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Advice to Management

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands