Cycle Gear - Enthusiast based retailer | Glassdoor

"Enthusiast based retailer"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA
Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the motorcycle industry is very fun as an enthusiast. Cycle Gear provided many opportunities to network with other industry professionals and opportunities to meet professional racers. It was also a great opportunity to stay up on current products and changes in the industry.

Cons

It was hard to balance work and home life with the demand of retail hours. This however is the same in most if not all retail environments.

Advice to Management

Look closer at individual markets, especially for older locations. Factor in economical factors of the areas such as unemployment rate, potential new customer base and existing customer purchasing habits when setting store plans. Also look at geographical factors such as crime rate in area of store, location of competition, location of other major retailers and changes to retail activity in the area. For example relocating a store from a more economically depressed area of the city to a more desired shopping area. Especially in areas where development favors an urban sprawl and new development is moving away from the store location. It is harder to drive customers to less desirable area of the city that is out of their "comfort/safe" zone.

Other Employee Reviews for Cycle Gear

1. "The first year was great, as the group I worked with became my family."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smaller groups to work in, so you become really close. Customers are bike people, so they are pretty chill, most of the time!

Cons

The company has changed quite a bit since I worked there, and I've heard it is quite a different environment now.

2. "Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better