Cypress Semiconductor - I learned a lot at Cypress and wish that management did not fall in line with TJ's style so much. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

"I learned a lot at Cypress and wish that management did not fall in line with TJ's style so much."

Former Employee - Executive Administrative in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Executive Administrative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an Executive Admin I learned a lot about how to run a flawless meetings; how to function in the background and not be seen or heard. There are some nice perks such as a nice on-site cafe, hair-stylist, masseuse, and gas station.

Cons

TJ Rodgers has a very different style of managing his company. It's widely publicized and anyone can read about it, and should before taking a job here. The culture follows right behind him. As an admin, you are the lowest of the low and are expected to get your boss his lunch, never leave your desk unless someone is covering (if his phone goes to voicemail when TJ calls, you and your boss will pay). There are not many women in leading roles are Cypress and TJ has his "reasons".

Advice to Management

As far as pledging allegiance to TJ, that won't change, TJ has ruled in the same way since he started CY and he will not change for anyone. If you aren't willing to march to his drum you can't succeed at CY. However, it would be nice to see more women in more leadership roles.... Lookup TJ's response to the nun who asked why there wasn't more diversity on his BOD.

Other Employee Reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

"Cypress - No Rest for the Weary"

Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a ton in a short amount of time. You will always be expected to work at 1 - 2 grade levels above your pay grade, which means you will develop a lot of useful skills that you can take elsewhere (and use to negotiate a better title & salary at your new company).

Cons

Expect to be worked to death. I spent the last 2 years working 12 hours a day without letup. There are no ebbs and flows; rather, it's like being forced to drink from a fire hose constantly. The problem is the company's near-obsessive focus on OPEX - the number of employees kept on the payroll is the absolute bare bones required to keep this place from collapsing. You will be expected to do the work of 1.5 - 2 people, simply because the company doesn't want to pay 1.5 - 2 people.

Because of the unrelenting pace of the work, Cypress tends not to be a place where women thrive. Very little work/life balance. Take a look around - in any given Ops Review, there might be 4 women present in a room of 75+ people. There are literally 3 women in executive-level positions here.

Advice to Management

Pointless. Management doesn't listen to suggestions @ Cypress.

"Agressive Scheduling"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

I am very fond of my hardworking coworkers at Cypress, and find it to be a challenging place to work.

Cons

There is too much process and corporate policy which prevents the important work from being done. This prevents us from doing what we do well.

Advice to Management

Create realistic schedules and use the engineers to do more engineering. I feel that it is common to find a high paid engineer doing work that could be performed by an intern.