Cypress Semiconductor - Challenging, yet fun | Glassdoor

"Challenging, yet fun"

Former Employee - New College Grad Co-op Finance Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - New College Grad Co-op Finance Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cypress Semiconductor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, down to earth people who love to have fun, but work extremely hared

Cons

As an intern, my manager was never there to help me out. She thought that I should know everything about corporate finance when it was my first job in the field.

Other Employee Reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

"Follow the spec"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liked my coworkers. Lots to learn. Lots of opportunities to undertake greater responsibilities if you work hard.

Cons

The unwritten culture is "keep TJ happy". Often this means follow specs or metrics blindly and not considering what the best course of action actually is.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees rather than just the numbers. Even with all the metrics that Cypress has it doesn't account for everything so they shouldn't be followed blindly. Don't micro manage.

"I learned a lot at Cypress and wish that management did not fall in line with TJ's style so much."

Former Employee - Executive Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an Executive Admin I learned a lot about how to run a flawless meetings; how to function in the background and not be seen or heard. There are some nice perks such as a nice on-site cafe, hair-stylist, masseuse, and gas station.

Cons

TJ Rodgers has a very different style of managing his company. It's widely publicized and anyone can read about it, and should before taking a job here. The culture follows right behind him. As an admin, you are the lowest of the low and are expected to get your boss his lunch, never leave your desk unless someone is covering (if his phone goes to voicemail when TJ calls, you and your boss will pay). There are not many women in leading roles are Cypress and TJ has his "reasons".

Advice to Management

As far as pledging allegiance to TJ, that won't change, TJ has ruled in the same way since he started CY and he will not change for anyone. If you aren't willing to march to his drum you can't succeed at CY. However, it would be nice to see more women in more leadership roles.... Lookup TJ's response to the nun who asked why there wasn't more diversity on his BOD.