Cypress Semiconductor - Interesting products make this company worth it if you learn to brush off the frustration. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

"Interesting products make this company worth it if you learn to brush off the frustration."

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After nearly 30 years, CY still manages to succeed in an extremely volatile market. While many semiconductor companies come and go, CY stays the course. The technical ability of employees is well above average, which is attributed to the core values (we hire only the best) and the rigorous interview process (recently ranked as one of the 20 toughest interviews in corporate America.).

Cons

Management is stifling and has a poor track record of execution. Many product lines have gone by the wayside because of the management style, and the demeaning dictatorial style of the CEO. Further, the bloated overhead of processes makes it difficult to compete in the rapid product cycles of the tech industry. Effectively, anytime something goes wrong, a process must be added to ensure that it never goes wrong again, and everyone gets punished for one engineer's mistake. In the end, the "law code" of these so-called "quality checks" appears more like Congressional law code, and one might argue that it takes an "act of congress" to get even the simplest product out the door.

Advice to Management

If you believe your core values, and you really have hired "only the best", entitle your workforce to develop and manufacture products without all of the micro-managing and unnecessary pencil pushing.

Other Employee Reviews for Cypress Semiconductor

"Challenging, yet fun"

Former Employee - New College Grad Co-op Finance Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - New College Grad Co-op Finance Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cypress Semiconductor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, down to earth people who love to have fun, but work extremely hared

Cons

As an intern, my manager was never there to help me out. She thought that I should know everything about corporate finance when it was my first job in the field.

"Follow the spec"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cypress Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liked my coworkers. Lots to learn. Lots of opportunities to undertake greater responsibilities if you work hard.

Cons

The unwritten culture is "keep TJ happy". Often this means follow specs or metrics blindly and not considering what the best course of action actually is.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees rather than just the numbers. Even with all the metrics that Cypress has it doesn't account for everything so they shouldn't be followed blindly. Don't micro manage.