DB&A - Take it from a newly hired professional. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DB&A

"Take it from a newly hired professional."

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DB&A full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I read the reviews before I started and I can say I was concerned, but I can tell you this company is serious about what they do. I get tons of exposure and opportunities to learn. My project manager is very supportive. My teammates are helpful and make the enviornment worth returning to week after week. I was impressed by the CEO visiting us on our first week, it is rare to have candid and personal conversations with someone who runs the company.

Cons

This is consulting, the company is honest about the needs of the position. I was told you will travel Sunday night through Friday, that's just the job. It's a challenge, but I love it. You need to be a go getter, this job requires energy and a sense of urgency. You also have to confront managers about their behaviors, that can be difficult. The con would be your attitude, this job is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Keep the changes going....I feel the support and the training modules are helpful. I like that people care about me. The staff at corporate and the management team are always making sure I have ewhat I need and that feels good. I know the changes are happening fast because the people who have been here for a while tell a different story about the "old DB&A". I have not seen anything that would make me cringe or feel uncomfortable. In fact so much has been done to make me feel at home; I don't see anything but a great future here.

Other Employee Reviews for DB&A

"Teach me what you think I should know then I will know you know"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at DB&A full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will get fired. And yes this is a pro.
    You will learn a lot about getting around in air ports and you will get to see industries and parts of the country that you may not otherwise get to see.
    You will meet some dynamic people.
    You will have the opportunity to learn a lot about people, yourself and business processes.
    They will tell you that the job is confrontational. It is good to know this up front. They leave out that the confrontation is not with the clients they loath, but with the internal group of mostly morons you will be assigned to work for.

Cons

You will get fired. Who likes getting fired? The turnover rate is very high so plan on it.
    Most of the dynamic people you meet are not part of the management team.
    Be prepared to hear how much you dont know and how stupid your clients are. Quote: "If these guys were as good as they think they are, they wouldnt need us. Their stupidity keeps us employed!"
    Their mantra is "Your clients will always lie to you and your colleagues lie to you even more." If you like listening to your boss make fun of your colleagues for their religion.. this is the job for you. If you like going to work with people who smell like beer from the night before, this is the job for you.
    Do not come into this job thinking you will end up being a process improvement expert. You wont. If you're lucky, you will scratch the surface.
    This is a good place to start, but think about what your next step is before you take this job. The next step will come sooner than you think.

Advice to Management

Please take you head out of your butts. You fire some truly gifted employees and you have no idea how to keep them. You fire people who work hard and love the job. If your so called managers (of which NONE have formal PM training) cannot teach and do not have the patience to do so, maybe your terminating the wrong people. Think of how much money it cost you to hire great people only to let them go after over 2 or 3 years. This is clearly not something wrong with the employees, but something wrong with your process. It doesnt take fortune 100 companies 3 years to figure out that they made a bad hire in most cases. Look at your records. You are either hanging on to peple too long, you make bad hires to begin with or youre firing the wrong people. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this out. You are so far removed from the brutal treatment of the low life associate that you have no idea that your so called managers are not doing their jobs. It is for this reason you have major turnover and shame on you for telling new associates that people leave the company due to the strains of travel. That is not true and you should not lie like that.

You also need to start from the top down to ensure that integrity of the client is kept at the highest regard. It pained me daily to hear how my management team feels about the clients. Never in my career was it ever ok to disparage our customers and clients the way the management team does at DB&A. It was shameful.

Allowing your managers to make fun of associates for their religion, their beliefs and their personal choices should seriously be address. You are setting yourself up for major law suits and this will not fare well for you. If you do not know that it happens it is because of the hostile work environment that is allowed to continue from the "old" DB&A days. Who would an associate complain to? Their PM? It is the PM that is being disparaging as well as discriminitory. It is not a joke, and these people are not funny!

You wont change. After 25 years, you will continue to business as you always have and you will remain in the 52 million dollar range. Not because you couldnt be better, but because you allow your management team to treat clients and employees in a rough shod manner.

"Great company to work for that rewards based on your development"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DB&A full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will gain experience in a wide range of industries working with clients ranging from front line Supervisors all the way up to the C Suite. Emphasis is placed on developing your consulting skills and have not met anyone now willing to help. Company leadership is aligned with the consistent goal of delivering high value to clients. Great teamwork on projects helps develop new employees at rapid pace.

Cons

You must be willing and able to travel for 50 weeks per year leaving on Sundays and coming home on Fridays. The company is committed to providing at least 48 hours at home on weekends and you must be comfortable with this lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Continue with current Consultant development process.