DC Public Schools - A good place to get your feet wet and take on responsibility, but the turnover is outrageous | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DC Public Schools

"A good place to get your feet wet and take on responsibility, but the turnover is outrageous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

- lots of responsibility
- good pay
- opportunities to take on new tasks and develop weak skills

Cons

- long hours
- overwork (people come and go so much and their tasks need to be completed)
- very little recognition for extra work
- reactive environment (always putting out a major fire)
- very poor communication between teams
- no dental insurance for central office employees (dental discount program is offered though)

Advice to Management

recognize the work of people who are putting in their time and talent and they will probably stop leaving after a year or two.

Other Employee Reviews for DC Public Schools

1. "Awful, depressing, and hopeless-teaching in a failing school system is Sisyphean and Masochistic."

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Washington, DC

Pros

The pay is decent and you will feel like a a superstar hero sometimes. The kids can be really fun and entertaining.

Cons

The average DCPS student has so many forces working against him that teaching anything other than basic reading or basic math seems like a waste. Why teach a 16 year old mitosis if she reads at a 3rd grade level? Why reach out to a parent with concerns about their child when they are going to turn those concerns back on you. If you have the skills and background to do anything else, do that instead.

Advice to Management

When the citizens of DC are ready to act in their own best interest and let the educators educate and leave politics out of the schools, then real reform can happen.

2. "Specialist"

I worked at DC Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great pay for the industry- I earned substantially more than I would've in surrounding counties
    Good amount of flexibility- as long as I was getting my work done, my supervisor was flexible with me working from home or different hours than her. I should note I worked at Central Office, not one of the schools

Cons

There is a bit of a "that's not my job" attitude in some departments