DICK'S Sporting Goods - pretty good, biggest complaint is we do not get our schedule early enough to make plans. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"pretty good, biggest complaint is we do not get our schedule early enough to make plans."

Current Employee - Golf Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Golf Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

job security, benefit package for full time employees

Cons

Big machine is not always efficient in decision making

Advice to Management

Give local management more ability to order inventory

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"If you're looking to go somewhere in life, don't work here."

Current Employee - Cashier in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rochester, NY

Pros

It's a super easy job.
    They are very good about requested days off at my location.
    The store manager at this location is very knowledgeable and personable and knows what he is doing.
    Good place to make some lasting friendships.

Cons

Where to begin...corporate, District Managers, Loss Prevention Managers...have lost sight of what the stores do and how we work. People have been fired for crazy ridiculous reasons(store manager shed tears over how stupid it was). I have worked for the company for 5 YEARS and they are hiring new people at higher pay than me. They have no room for promotion or advancement as they outsource for managing positions. Very few promotions have been given in my 5 year period. Most of the managers are not very personable when it comes to employees or customers. Whats worse is they are very lazy and don't lead by example, and when they start to they find an excuse to go back to just standing around and talking. Overall the company needs a makeover or two. Ed Stack needs to go on that Undercover Boss show and learn what its like to be the lowest of the low in the company.

Advice to Management

Customers are the main focus, but don't lose sight that not all your employees are incapable. Also, your job isn't hard to do. Most of us can easily do your job. So please, stop giving people who are horrible at managing manager positions, and start treating the ones who deal with those that give this company money better. We are your frontline and the company's future.

"Overall Good, The company promotes from with in 6 of 10 times. They fire people for dumb stuff and keep bad employees."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Mishawaka, IN

Pros

Dick's is a pretty simple place to work, You will probably start as a cashier and be expected to push credit cards and their reward card called a score card. If you do well it is easy to get promoted to a lead position and after a few years a manager. If you show up for work on time and to all your shifts you have a good opportunity to advance. Managers are nice and easy to work with. As a manager your life will be dedicated to Dick's Sporting Goods. To be a successful manager you have to work 50 to 70 hours a week. this could be a pro or con depending on the person but they DO NOT DRUG TEST.

Cons

Hours, A full time employee with a family may only get 30 hours a week no matter how good their performance is. Then when you become a salaried manager you will work over 55 hours most week. so there really is no way to work a NORMAL 40 hour a week retail job. Dick's needs to create a system for full time employees to work a rotating schedule like LOWES does. Lowes gives employees a weekend off a month along with another Saturday and Sunday off each month. also people get fired for dumb stuff when others who have no brain get promoted.

Advice to Management

Create a program that allows FT employees to work 38-40 hours a week and part time employees to work 10 -25 hours a week. Have rotating schedules. Make the Ethics hotline more useful. Very few results are seen from the Ethics Hotline. Consider your department leads department managers and give them more responsibility.