DICK'S Sporting Goods - Copywriter | Glassdoor

"Copywriter"

Former Contractor - Copywriter in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Contractor - Copywriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods as a contractor

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there. Dick's also has summer hours (dismissed at 3 p.m.), has great food, and has an incredible gym with classes available before and after work as well as during lunch.

Cons

The company hires several temps to keep their Fortune 500 status. The temps sometimes work over four years before they're officially hired, which prevents any vacation time, sick days, health insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. I was a temp worker and was given a job description that ended up being a very small portion of my job. My training consisted of a coworker telling me some of my responsibilities for two half days. After that, it was sink or swim. At the quarterly meeting, the main complaint was the lack of feedback and help workers were getting from their bosses.

Advice to Management

If you hire a temp, don't treat them like they're disposable. Take the time and effort to train them and they will succeed. If you sit around waiting for them to fail, they will. Stick to your word. If you say you're going to have touch base meetings every week, set them up. Don't mislead your workers by not having them and allowing them to think they've done what you've asked. Make all of your expectations clear from day one, not two months into it. People can't succeed if they always feel that they're playing catch up. Be patient and realize that learning a completely new job takes six months. Motivate them; encourage them. Invest in them in the way you would want to be invested in.

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"EVERY SEASON STARTS AT DICKS"

Current Employee - PGA Pro in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - PGA Pro in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent money for my position

Cons

exec managment is lost in what happens in stores. Store level management is very unqualified

Advice to Management

give up

2. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many, but you do get to sell fun equipment depending on your department.

Cons

Treat you like a child, pay is low, and tasks are done for tasks shake.

Advice to Management

Nothing much you can do