DICK'S Sporting Goods - Cool place to work, not so cool pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"Cool place to work, not so cool pay"

Current Employee - Lodge Associate in Loganville, GA
Current Employee - Lodge Associate in Loganville, GA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere for someone who is passionate about sports or the outdoors, meeting diverse people, relatively easy work, great employee discounts

Cons

VERY low hours at times, seems to be little oppurtunity for advancement, sometimes managers expect unrealistic goals to be met

Advice to Management

mst of my managers are good people, but they expect the employees to automatically know everything with very little training.

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"Copywriter"

Former Contractor - Copywriter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Copywriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods as a contractor

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there. Dick's also has summer hours (dismissed at 3 p.m.), has great food, and has an incredible gym with classes available before and after work as well as during lunch.

Cons

The company hires several temps to keep their Fortune 500 status. The temps sometimes work over four years before they're officially hired, which prevents any vacation time, sick days, health insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. I was a temp worker and was given a job description that ended up being a very small portion of my job. My training consisted of a coworker telling me some of my responsibilities for two half days. After that, it was sink or swim. At the quarterly meeting, the main complaint was the lack of feedback and help workers were getting from their bosses.

Advice to Management

If you hire a temp, don't treat them like they're disposable. Take the time and effort to train them and they will succeed. If you sit around waiting for them to fail, they will. Stick to your word. If you say you're going to have touch base meetings every week, set them up. Don't mislead your workers by not having them and allowing them to think they've done what you've asked. Make all of your expectations clear from day one, not two months into it. People can't succeed if they always feel that they're playing catch up. Be patient and realize that learning a completely new job takes six months. Motivate them; encourage them. Invest in them in the way you would want to be invested in.

"high volume, low staffing, high income, low pay, increase workload not money, dont care about employees."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

25% employee discount is the only pro.

Cons

volume is high staffing is low if you are lucky enough to get a raise they cut your hrs to compensate. your not a person, just a number.

Advice to Management

walk a mile or two in your employees shoes. its easy to watch from the bleachers. get in the game