DICK'S Sporting Goods - Only if your desperate | Glassdoor

"Only if your desperate"

Current Employee - Bicycle Tech in Newark, DE
Current Employee - Bicycle Tech in Newark, DE

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the discounts are ok, The other part time workers. Meeting new customers.

Cons

Where to start, this company stinks from the ground up. Honestly im not sure how they stay in business. Let me give you some examples.

Our new store manager gives a huge meeting on how only one employee at a time can go on break, then for lunch him and the other manger go out for an hour lunch.

They do not seem to care a bit about the employees, breaks are hard to get, they have an attitude like you are bothering them if you ask for your break. Lunch breaks are also very hard to get, i finally had to just leave cause managment didnt want to deal with the problem that day.

When i was hired i had great managers, and a great work enviroment, now with new managment its not that way. Managers routinely yell at employees, belittle them in front of others, basicly they act like they have had no managment training what so ever.

Bike shop is a mess, you cant get tubes from this company. Tubes for crying out loud. Its three months and i still cant get 26' mtn bike tubes in shrader valve. Same goes for kickstands.

Of course as a huge company devoted to providing 100 percent customer satifiaction they only provide you with like two to three sizes in bikes. 16,18,20 inch sizes. Anything bigger needs special ordered. And the special order system is a huge mess. Most the time we would get bikes, it would be 8 models of the exact same size. What a joke.

Company doesnt care about employees, they dont pay worth a darn and the discounts arnt that good. They pay lip service to customer service, but in the end only look for ways to blame the employes for the lack of payroll.

Oh, and when you read reviews on DSG.com about bikes and see that pedals fall off, that is entirely a assembly issue, not a bike failure issue. Get your people some training, the guy i took over from didnt use any grease, true wheels, adjust hubs, or produce safe bikes in any way, shape or form. I had to come in on my time off to train him to get him up to a good level of beuilding bikes.

Forget about getting tools, bike shop has been stripped of tools, and there is never money to get new ones. We just turn away customers who want repairs.

I am finally walking away from this place.
 First : of all they managers are very bad at employee relations. with very few exceptions.
Two : they keep changing the sceadual every week, so there is no way to plan your life.
Three: They are more concerned with score more and score cards then making sure people get thier breaks.
Four: they treat employees as disposable, employees who feel this way then give bad customer service.

Advice to Management

Before you promote some of these "professional" managers, how about getting them some real manager training. These people are a joke you have sent us.

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

1. "Decent company to work for, but very tough on employees"

Current Employee - Apparel in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Apparel in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting wage is decent
    Doesn't ask for too much experience to get hired there
    Does great with transferring people to and from other stores
    They do yearly reviews on employees and you get a raise depending on performance

Cons

Management is very male oriented, at least at my location
    The company is tough on their employees(including management) and asks a lot from them, which can be stressful sometimes
    A lot of favoritism
    But most of this is typical in retail positions

2. "Communist Party"

Former Employee - CSS in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - CSS in Grove City, OH

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people working in the store.

Cons

Loss Prevention officers, District Managers, Regional Managers are all communist. If you intend on working at Dick's just know you'll always have someone from loss prevention watching over you on camera and keeping track of every transaction a cashier makes. I saw them fire their employees for purchasing item's with your parents credit card or using a brothers scorecard.

Advice to Management

Warn employees that they'll get fired for these things. None of these policies are in the employee handbook. Thank god I don't work for this communist ran corporation anymore.