DICK'S Sporting Goods - dick's sporting goods was lax. On my sixth day of working, i was responsible for closing shift by myself. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"dick's sporting goods was lax. On my sixth day of working, i was responsible for closing shift by myself."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Didn't really have somebody breathing down your back. I think they know who they hire better than most and you are expected to do your job. and you get pretty good discounts.

Cons

working in the footwear department and being a fan of shoes but the shoe selection was lackluster. i am a basketball player and fan and we carried like 6 basketball shoes. running shoe selection was pretty amazing. and i worked six hours twice a week due to cutback of hours.

Advice to Management

when you have a new person, let them know how they're doing. Its confusing whether or not you're doing a good job if you never really find out from management. my supervisor and trainer telling me, "good job, you're learning," doesn't quite let me know i'm meeting my expectations.

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

1. "For retail, not so bad..."

Current Employee - Golf Department Manager/Golf Professional
    Current Employee - Golf Department Manager/Golf Professional

Pros

For the golf pro position, there's a few perks that normal managers don't receive. First off, I'm salaried, but capped at 40 hours per week, and beyond that I get overtime based off my salary. Second, all my PGA dues are reimbursed and I get paid days to cover my member hours. 2 weeks paid vacation plus sick and personal days. Matching 401k after 6 months and awesome benefits. Full PPO for my wife and me with vision and dental for $55 every two weeks.

For a golf pro job, 40 hours a week doesn't really exist, I'm sure that's how Dick's manages to get PGA professionals. I don't really want to be in the golf business for too much longer, and supposedly I can move up into other management positions, but we'll see what happens.

Cons

My department manager is an absolute moron. As soon as I started, she completely disappeared from my department, so say the 4 guys that work for me. Every once in a while she'll come by and rag on something she doesn't like, but fails to mention anything else that we've been working on. A few weeks ago, we had our Regional VP visit the store, and during the visit he starts asking me for sales numbers, which my manager decided not to give me, so I stand there looking like and idiot while she chimes in the with the numbers after I make a fool of myself. Absolutely terrible manager. My store manager on the other hand is awesome. Like anyone, he wants to see hard work, but is really good about giving solid feedback. My district manager is great, too.

Advice to Management

Beyond having more competent department managers (a college degree would be a good qualification) there just needs to be more structure. I worked retail at Target through high school and some of college, and the team members there may be drones, but it's very effective. I'm sure it'll come, it's just going to take some time, but it may be a painful adjustment, especially for older managers that have been in the stores for a while.

2. "Sales Cashier"

Pros

The people who work there are all energetic and easy to talk with. You get to deal with a variety of customers, which makes each day different.

Cons

Management is not very flexible with scheduling, and often it seems like there are too many people working at once, leaving one to two people doing all the work while the others stand around.

Advice to Management

It would be better if management kept a better eye on what employees are doing, so that all employees feel they are treated equally.