DICK'S Sporting Goods - Looks fun from the outside, but inside its is a whole different story. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"Looks fun from the outside, but inside its is a whole different story."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have great managers when I first started. When I first started it was fun. Great coworkers and managers. First managers I had were flexible.

Cons

The pay is a joke. You're background doesn't matter they will try to offer you the lowest amount possible.
There is no room for growth. Kept telling people they would become leads when there was opening but never promoted them or skipped over people who deserved the promotion. Instead they will take advantage of you if you are willing to help out. They will keep you at part time so they don't have to give you full time benefits and then give you full time hours. Not only that they would expect to take the role of the lead if there was none while they take six months to hire someone else, who then you get to train how to do the job they refuse to give you. We had 3 full timers leave out of 6 and the managers would claim we don't have any full time positions for anyone.
We had low turnover originally, but a few people left and it was a domino effect. After that turnover was crazy high. The new managers came in with a whole different mentality, which is understandable by they tried changing a lot. The problem is our store was good before them and worse after they arrived.

Advice to Management

If ain't broke, don't fix it. The store I was at was great, then managers changed and it went downhill quickly. Employee moral quickly sank as well. Quit taking advantage of the employees who are willing to help out. Give them what they deserve. Try rewarding those who show they deserve it.

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

1. "UNSAFE FIREARM HANDLING PRACTICES, Position fraudulently posted; worked hard and kicked to the curb."

Former Employee - Lodge Associate in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Lodge Associate in Manchester, NH

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good products, decent discount, -some- good coworkers who are passionate about the products and actually -like- interacting with customers. Interesting insights into firearms retail.

Cons

Deceitful hiring practices, UNSAFE HANDLING OF FIREARMS. There were no gun owners in local management, leading to bad customer service and unsafe firearm handling practices. These were represented by never teaching new personnel to verify clear and safe chambers, and zip tying lever action levers to the stocks, to prevent anyone from opening the action to verify a clear chamber.I was hired as a year round part time employee in September, and then reclassified as "temporary" in January and promptly let go; as were all the other new "permanent part time" hires. Pay was around $9/hr for background checked clerks with good product knowledge. Corporate mandates horrible customer service, and punishes the stores for not making the customers feel good about it. Horrible "protection plans". Also, management required me to regularly lie to customers about product availabilty; for example, we were told to hide high demand ammo in the back room until it was advertised, and lie in the meantime. This was a typical scenario. Also, waking up at 3 in the morning to staff the store, get in on time, and the Lead pulls a no-call/no-show and faces no disciplinary action? Yeah, that's not OK.

Advice to Management

Learn how to SAFELY HANDLE GUNS. Even the most basic Hunter Safety course would show you how you are putting your customers IN DANGER. Be realistic, be honest, learn what "integrity" means. $70 for a 3 year protection plan on a $200 product with a 30 year life span? You have GOT to be kidding me. There's a REASON we never pushed that on our customers; they'd be offended if we tried it. Also, your position on gun control is downright foolish. Ban AR-15s, but still sell Benelli M4s? Either cater to the soccer moms, or recognize people's constitutional rights. Half measures do nothing but offend -everyone-.

2. "Employees POV"

Former Employee - Outerwear Lead in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Outerwear Lead in Manhattan, KS

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hired as part time, received as many hours as desired, promoted within first week and given own department

Cons

short staffed at the store, time off not granted, no customer service or policy training all about $$$$$$$$$$

Advice to Management

listen to your staff!!!!