DICK'S Sporting Goods - Team Sports Lead/. Footwear/Lodge/Fitness Associate | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"Team Sports Lead/. Footwear/Lodge/Fitness Associate"

Pros

Store Manager did good by hiring a mixture of chemistry for a brand new store

Cons

Can't really force people to sign up for warrenties, and scorecards

Other Employee Reviews for DICK'S Sporting Goods

"Dicks does not treat their employees with respect"

Pros

The employee discount is pretty decent at 25% although on some items it is less (around 10%) and on some items you cant use it at all.

Cons

Scheduling: They claim to have flexible scheduling, however that is not true. Their schedule is generated randomly from week to week even for full time employees, there is no consistency to the schedule whatsoever. If you request an unpaid day off (doctors appointment, etc.) they will completely ignore your request and schedule you on that day anyway, forcing you to convince a manager to remove you from the schedule at the last minute.
    Employee Treatment: 3/4 of the management staff at my location treat myself and other employees with complete disrespect. If you ask a manger a question to try and help a customer you are met with a sarcastic attitude and an impression that you are wasting their time.
    Communication: Managers do not communicate new policies programs and other pertinent information effectively too all employees. If you are not opening in the morning (and thus attend the morning meeting) you will not know any new information that management passes. Managers would prefer to pretend that all employees attend the morning meeting instead of taking the time to pass word all of thier employees. Furthermore managers prefer to blame their own mistakes/shortcomings on employees rather than take responsibility for thier own actions.

Advice to Management

Encourage Managers to treat employees with respect, give employees the scheduled time off they request. Give employees the hours they request weekly instead of over scheduling people that don't want more hours and under scheduling people that do want more hours. Improve communication with employees and don't get upset when an employee requests clarification about an issue.

"Do not work in operations unless you are looking for supplemental income"

I worked at DICK'S Sporting Goods part-time

Pros

I love sporting goods, so I thought I would love working for this company. I got to be around lots of products that I loved all the time. The schedule is flexible so it's possible to work a 2nd job if you ask your employer (just make sure it's not a competitor). Being in the back, I didn't interact with customers and i can take breaks anytime I want.

Cons

My job was mind numbing. I processed the freight. So I got up at 445AM everyday to get ready to be at work at 6AM and then it takes 2 hours to move all the boxes from the truck to the stock room. Afterwards, I cleaned the bathrooms, and then I open the boxes, organize the items, and break the boxes down. That was my job for 8 hours a day. There is no room to grow or learn new skills. I decided that I didn't want to be stuck in the backroom all day opening and breaking down boxes so I left to find new skills so I can actually make a living wage.

Advice to Management

Pay your associates more money than minimum wage and give them more hours. 90% of the store is part time.