DIRECTV - Work life balance | Glassdoor

"Work life balance"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is very competitive, and the free satellite TV is a great perk that normally costs upwards of $80 each month.

Cons

For me the work-life balance was untenable, because I was on call all the time.

Other Employee Reviews for DIRECTV

1. "Could be more challenging and less overhead"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good product and services, interesting technologies to work on

Cons

too much overhead and analysis paralysis

Advice to Management

needs to be leaner and have a sense of urgency in this hyper competitive industry

"A company with management style stuck in the 90's"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Compensation is average nothing extraordinary. listed as pro because its not under payed.
    - Health benefits are ok. nothing special here too.
    - 401K is better than most places.
    - free directive account if you are full time.
    - 9 to 5 if you want to do just the bare minimum.

Cons

- I came to this company with great expectations. I made a critical error making a judgement from the interview.
    - There are some good engineers with a fresh mind. However, most of the so called senior engineers are Dinosaurs and really don't want to do anything the right way and that is why most people work here for less than 6 months.
    - If working on a complex problem you will be often asked to hack a solution quickly rather than refractor and re-engineer a better solution.
    - If you need information about something you often have to go through a chain of red tape to get anything done.
    - No process!!! no matter what they claim.. often times complex requirements are given verbally or over email.
    - On paper process is only to please the CTO and has nothing to do with your day to day work.
    - There is absolutely not team work here. everybody runs on their own and there is zero collaboration.
    - You often get a feeling somebody is always on your back watching you. and believe me they do!
    - Contractors are treated like sheep and apparently it is a very big deal to be a permanent full time employee which I was and it was often mentioned to me that i should be grateful for this.
    - the management style is really stuck in the 90s. it wasn't until August 2012 that engineer were allowed to wear Jeans.
    - if you are fresh in the industry or prefer an open culture. don't even bother applying and save your sanity.

Advice to Management

Please look at smaller companies and look at how they operate. if you are too ashamed and feel like you should look at somebody your own size, try google or Apple. Just because you are making good profits doesn't really mean you are doing very good. Your customers are frustrated. and they signup because of the channel contracts you have not because your services are better than anyone.