DISH - Gained many customer service skills | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Gained many customer service skills"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluefield, WV
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluefield, WV

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay - Great Benefits - Free TV - Excellent Training

Cons

Cannot move up unless you are favored

Advice to Management

Look at coaches more often - some are worse than the reps

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Definitely one of the Worst Places I have ever Worked"

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a single mother in a very tight Job market, when I was faced with finding a new job to be able to take care of my child....Dish was there..

Cons

I came from a background of `18 years of Management, when I was faced with needing to find a job to allow myself the flexibility of raising my child after a divorce. Within the first Month of training everything seemed to be going fine, but I did notice the turnover was extreme. Coming from a management background I started to work the numbers, I was astounded by the rate of turnover, for every 15 people in a classroom over 8 weeks, within 2 months of leaving training, maybe only 3 would remain. Huge waste of money. I did offer up my opinion, but was told if I was smart, I would keep it to myself and not bring it up.
    I worked there for two horrible years. I thought maybe it was bad for me mainly because I as an employee would never have treated my team the way we were treated.
    The program of discipline was absolutely ridiculous. Mandatory overtime was given with literally 5 mins notice. On 3 separate occasions I did approach my manager letting them know that I had a small child in Daycare and would not be able to stay, I was told curtly that I had two mins to find someone to pick up my child or I would be issued a warning. I had already worked 10 hours or in some cases 12. I did not manage to find anyone for one of those shifts and was issued a warning. During the snow storm in 2010, many of us were unable to get out of our driveways let alone take a risk of driving 20 - 30 mins (on a good day) just to be sent home. A state of Emergency was issued, but still were told that it had not been decided if there would be warnings issued. It took me 2 days just to dig out my car as we had over 24 inches of snow in 48 hours.
    This company does not know how to care for its employee's, and it high time someone, evaluated and restructured the employee's work environment.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to take a good look at the turnover, and do more than computerized exit interviews, I was floored when I did mine, there was no one to talk to, and I was lucky enough to leave on my own.....there was a reason for my leaving...all someone had to do was ask

"By far, the worst place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist II in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist II in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made new friends.
    Was a paycheck until I found somewhere else to work.

Cons

Upper Management is out of touch with what is going on in the company.
    Mass firings quarterly.
    Does not allow to finish last 2 weeks of employment. "Accepts immediately" without paying out 2 weeks.
    Mandatory overtime on your day off at least 1x per month every month.
    No way to move up in the company unless you are best friends with management.
    Promised promotions from direct supervisor are withdrawn by general manager because they don't like you.
    Sexual harassment and political talk are not disciplined.
    If your supervisor continuously refuses to give you work to do, it's your fault and you get reprimanded.
    Going to H.R. voicing concerns results in you getting punished.
    Voicing concerns about supervisors behavior to general managers is ignored, and you are punished instead.
    Seniority, work ethic, and experience don't matter. It's who you are best friends with and brown-nose to.
    FMLA employees are forced to be converted to hourly-paid employees.
    Employees forced to work overnight to finish projects with unrealistic deadlines. Many employees don't go home at night.
    Pay is not competitive. Much lower than equivalent positions elsewhere.
    Health insurance is a joke. Extremely high out of pocket expenses and very little coverage. Causes employees to file for bankruptcy due to medical costs.
    You are fired if you badge in after 8:55 am or before 4:05 pm, no matter how many hours you worked that day.
    Unwilling to work around doctor appointments, school appointments, or anything else that life throws at you.
    Required to drive in dangerous conditions to get to work.
    Was told by CEO to get a hotel room when it snows to make sure you get to work on time.
    Salary employees are not permitted to take breaks. Only an unpaid lunch break is allowed.
    Management has bias and does not treat employees equally.
    Unprofessional work ethic.
    Requires you to wear bandages covering piercings and tattoos.
    Unfair dress code. Also does not apply to "sexy/beautiful" people.

Advice to Management

Learn what is really happening in this company. I don't know how it is still in business with how it is run.