DISH - Terrible Company to Work For | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Terrible Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Some people who work there seem kind and easy to get along with.

Cons

Employees are treated like children - with the badge system (where you are not allowed to leave the building without swiping your badge in order for management to track hours), the core hours (employees are penalized if they enter the building after 9:00 am, regardless of how dangerous the weather conditions may be), and the fact that lunch has to be taken between 11:30-2:00 pm no matter what, I'm pretty sure inmates at a minimum-security prison are allowed more freedom than DISH Network employees. Employees are encouraged to eat lunch at their desk in order to "work through it", and forget about using the computer for personal reasons during lunch break - the surf control blocks any and all sites (God forbid employees spend five minutes looking at their bank statement during work hours). In fact, to get access to many sites that need to be used for legitimate work reasons, employees must go through a ridiculous chain approval that begins with the VP. I can summarize the culture with one word, "negative". My advice to anyone considering on embarking on a career at DISH Network - RUN AND SAVE YOURSELF!

Advice to Management

Have faith in your employees - you will only attract and retain the best and the brightest if you treat people like adults. Take a look at how SUCCESSFUL companies treat their employees - perhaps if you adopted some of their practices, your company wouldn't be on the verge of going out of business.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"If you don't mind slavery....."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• One could make a decent dollar if you work massive overtime AND you're fantastic at what you do.
    • No real skill is needed.

Cons

• Management has NO clue regarding professionalism, labor laws, psychology behind sales...
    • If you don't lie and cheat your customers, you can't really earn much money.
    • Dish constantly lies to it's employees and care nothing about you whatsoever.
    • They promise to pay you if you sell a particular item and will take to offer away without telling you. Therefore you would be selling a product for months and not realize the fact they are no longer paying you for it. Their response is simply, "We aren't paying for that any more".
    • They DEMAND that you work 8-12 hrs overtime and they only pay you a measly $3.33/hr for it.
    • They work hard to figure out ways to take away your commission. They have many methods. You could literally take home 50% of the commission that you earned fair and square just by having a close rate of less than 25%.
    • Dish constantly moves the finish line in the middle of the race...anything to take your money. They change the close rate expectation....
    • They take money out of your pocket if the customer changes their mind during installation (or soon after) while at the same time, they encourage and reward the the installers to upgrade the customer. That not only goes for equipment upgrades but they will take your commission away if the customer downgrades equipment, changes programming options or adds/subtracts promotions.
    •••••There are many more issues and not enough time.....

Advice to Management

Grow up! Be professional! Stop being so dirty! Stop stealing from your employees! Threat them as you want to be treated. You would be smarter to see Dish as the body and see the sales staff as the feet. The feet carry the body so you should take care of them. You can not put broken glass in your shoes and expect great results. You are only hurting yourself in the long run. Without the sales staff, you are crippled! You need them as much as they need you. Think KARMA..... Why don't you hire a GOOD consulting firm to help you instead of having meetings with your unqualified managers to figure out how to take all from your employees and give nothing. You guys are the most unprofessional company I have EVER worked for. What a shame...you have GREAT potential.

"Difficult Company to Work for"

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Pittston Township, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Pittston Township, PA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good and I worked with some good people

Cons

No flexibility and no compassion was to be given the the technicians. The goals set by the company were nearly impossible to meet. Huge employee turnover rate. Average day was 12 hours or more with no OT for managers. This company is driven by threats and intimidation at the field office level. I worked in 2 field offices in 2 different states and these locations were both the same. Very negative work culture that basically delivered the message "Not getting it done"on a daily basis. I believe that the upper management has a misconception of what these field offices are really like because when an executive visit happens it is a state of panic and the office is putting on a show to try and look good. The technicians are rushed out the door before anyone arrives and basically told screw this up and you are done. I was asked to falsify documents, target technicians for termination, and basically be the worst person possible as a manager. I was a popular manager with the techs because I was flexible and personable and ultimately it led to my demise as I was just pushed out the door unexpectedly one afternoon. At the time I was let go I had the highest performing metrics on the monthly perfomance report in the entire service area. You know that they are doing something wrong when it is a relief to get laid off!

Advice to Management

Send someone to Pittston and do Undercover Boss with hidden cameras so they don't know you are filming...I think you would get an unpleasant taste in your mouth.