DISH - Exactly what I needed | Glassdoor

"Exactly what I needed"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved to the area and nobody else was hiring and I got a job fairly quickly there. The pay was pretty good for the amount of sweat you put in. Benefits were good. Amazing break area.

Cons

The supervisors were clueless. Manditory training was a joke. Scheduling was not flexible. Dress code was not casual.

Advice to Management

Dealing with your customers is stressful. Give us a break.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

1. "Not bad, better than anywhere else"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working as a sales representative gives you the opportunity to make money you won't make anywhere else

Cons

Work hours and shift schedule isn't suitable for you if you were a single mom or dad
    They change policies and code of conduct frequently including pay and compensation plans which give you some sort of insecurity

"Ratings for other locations may be different than call centers – DISH is a good place to work"

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For anyone reading this, please keep in mind that negative reviews can come from call center employees that may deal with angry customers – and that would be tough for anyone to deal with! Of the 34k employees a lot of them are call center representatives as DISH keeps many of their call centers IN THE USA!

As for other areas of the business outside the call center, there are many opportunities for advancement and there are always things to do. Additional responsibilities are given to those that want it and ASK FOR IT and not just because you have been there a long time or you think you deserve it. Your management will make a big difference into how you perceive the company and I am very happy with my management. There is a lot of freedom to provide suggestions and improvements to business processes, along with specialized skills training if desired.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough, you are on email or via contact on the phone all the time which is why PDO time means so much to me. Weeks are easily 45-55 hours in the office, and that doesn’t include the time you are answering emails or working more at home. So when I have a PDO I want to be able to disconnect as much as possible so the cons to me are:

PDO time does not roll over and PDO time does not increase much for tenured employees (2 weeks to start, 3 weeks at five years, no other changes)
    Yearly merit increases are a little weak at times
    No work from home (WFH) policy if you needed to stay home for a repair/DISH install or on severe snowdays
    Office equipment is a bit dated (buy your own chair if you want a comfy one)

Advice to Management

Better stair stepped PDO time (2 weeks to start, 3 weeks awarded at two years, 4 weeks at 5 years, 5 weeks at 10 years)

Allow up to 40 or 80 hours of PDO to be rolled over (use it or lose it after that)

Make sick time 'flex time' to be used for sick or PDO time.

Add Presidents Day holiday so total holidays would be: New Years, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas

Happy and rested employees work harder!