DISH - A continuing downward spiral of terrible upper management choices. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"A continuing downward spiral of terrible upper management choices."

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the first two years things we great, lots of hours good pay. I happen to have a manager that stands up for me and tries to keep the corporate BS away from the techs. I am one of the few techs that gets to do out of market trips.

Cons

In the last three years the VPs have been on this rampage of nit picking the entire office to the point where managers have to be in the office instead of in the field with their techs.

Examples:
Posters on the wall where hung with nails/ thumb tacks. They were forced to use 2 sided tape.
Patches in the wall had to be redone (just weeks after the wall was fixed) because the texture on the patch did not match perfectly to the rest of the wall.
Lags holding a dish up had to be turned so the letters were all facing the same direction.

The list goes on and on. Plus on top of that the last time they came out they showed up dunk and hung over to the point they could barely do an inspection for 20 min.

The inspections are another issue, it is all smoke and mirrors. They do tool audits (if there is any dirt in your tool bag it is an instant fail), Van audits (if there are signs that someone worked out of the van then it is a fail) and the list still goes on.

Pay/ Benefits: In my office we have not had a cost of living increase for 6 years. Year after year it is said that we will get one. Last year every office to the south of us got a cost of living but not us. I can change to an office 70 min away instead of 15 min away and get a 3 dollar and hr raise.

The benefits are through Cigna, There is a 2500 dollar deductible and then you still must cover 20% after your deductible is reached.

Advancement: Good luck, After you realize that you want to stop being a tech there is almost no chance for you to advance, unless you are in good with all of the hiring managers. its a popularity game and be prepared to get dirty to win.

CSAT: Dish's CSAT is setup to make techs FAIL, the scale is a 1-10 but if a cust entered a 7 then the system changes it to a 0. Dish also wants your scores to be over 9.8. so if you get anything below a 10 its pretty much an instant fail. If your numbers are to low then you get fired (or upgraded) they do this off of your YTD average, but not off of all of your CSAT scores, but off of the average of each month. So if I get one 10 score each month I am perfect, but if I get 11 scores of 10 one month and one score of 4 another then my YTD score is a 7. which is a fail. Instead of a 9.5.

Advice to Management

I find Joe knows what he is doing but there is a huge disconnect between him and the techs. I think the VPs are so board that they are trying to find anything to do to make them look busy. All this does is add more work for managers as well as the techs.

Look inside your company to hire, it is so hard to be a tech and see that the last 2 GMs hired worked at Circuit City, and Home Depot!! All this does is confirm that the upper management knows nothing of what it is like to be in the field.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Decent Paying Job for the Area I'm in, rough job in many ways"

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been employed by dish for quite a few years, I have worked very hard at what I do, I know my job well & up until recently enjoyed what I do daily.
    Initially when I was hired I was very grateful to have a job which paid well over minimum wage.
    I credit my job with Dish as saving my & my 3 children's lives as I was in a bad situation when I began there, less than a year after my ex husband walked out on us & failed to pay even a cent of child support.
    Through working at Dish I not only took us out of poverty, off medicaid & food stamps (which we were on all the time I was married to my ex I might add) I also bought a house for us to live in as opposed to the rental trailer my ex left us in. I have prospered.
    My ex & others who used to walk all over me have stopped trying to do so because I learned how to stand up for myself & speak my piece through my work at Dish.

Cons

The nature of the job is frustrating, inbound or outbound, call center work is not an easy job.
    Add to that the attitude of everyone in management that not only should we be able to do anything & everything a customer needs done in under 10 minutes, we should also make sure they have a pin #, an email address, know all about the company's website & buy some more programming.

The company is short on foresight & long on flavor of the day. I have worked in the past for other large, fortune 500 companies & never have I seen so much evidence of the right hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Changes are often instigated with little or no warning & often are reversed in just a few weeks or months often quietly, with little fanfare so suddenly you find out you're doing something wrong which you are sure you were doing correctly. This is especially nerve-wracking as it can spell termination in some cases.
    The latest change, the insistence that we try to sell every single person we speak to yet more programming is especially frustrating, customers being told that they will receive a replacement piece of equipment in 3 to 5 days & then asked if they'd like to add HBO tonight are seldom receptive to the offer and often quite verbally abusive & give very poor marks in the inevitable customer satisfaction survey which follows most calls. Supervisors insist to you when you try to point out that being sold to when their equipment is not working might not be a way to inspire happiness in customers, that if you just put the right spin on it, the customers will feel they're getting something great & be so glad you offered it to them.
    The attitude that you are expendable is very prevalent from immediate supervisors up to the director & higher ups who come & visit from time to time.

Advice to Management

Adopt more family friendly attitudes, realize your employees are not nameless drones to work to death or until they find something else & then replaced by yet more nameless drones.
    You have a reputation in the area for grinding people up & spitting them out, it is well deserved.
    I have read most of the surveys on this site in regards to my company & while many are from techs in the field & management so I can't necessarily relate to them, it is obvious that the current business practices are not making many anyone happy, other than those at the very top. Happy workers make successful business, unhappy ones ruin businesses.
    The HR people are clueless jokes. However they are somewhat better than 5 or 6 years ago when they were actively mean & rude.

"Can never get over a decade of my life back"

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people work(ed) here. Pay is just enough to keep you from leaving for any other job.

Cons

Pay is never enough to make you happy, and not enough to make you feel valued. Annual reviews are a joke giving things like 0.98% pay increases. No such thing as merit increases for an employee that goes above and beyond. Installation division is full of Type A and everything done based on someones ego - not the actual needs. Division cares more about how the techs look and where things are in their van, instead of how a system is actually installed. Call center environment is based more on who you know than what you know.. promotions are based on favors in lieu of skills. The GM's and managers follow the director around like little ducklings quacking about what to do for 'lunch'.

Advice to Management

Look back on how the company got 'here'. The people that did it are mostly gone these days. I realize that the company is no longer the small company it was - but that is the attitude that helped the company grow. The fact that so many of the people that helped built up the company have left in the last few years should set of some sort of an alarm