DISH - It's a job. | Glassdoor

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Floor Agent in Mesa, AZ
Current Employee - Floor Agent in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the fact you have a team...over a time period you feel like you are family. :) I like that I am 21 and make more money than most adults in the area. I love talking to customers and helping people! I enjoy what I do. :) I believe that customer service is a hard job. Long hours, hard calls, demanding mental drainage. You knew what you signed up for as soon as you started training. You are given pretty amazing tools to help you & the customer. :) Not to mention you get free dish...:) I think coaches are exceptional. They have been the reasoning behind not giving up. they smile & tell you that it'll be okay. ;) a lot of love & support.

Cons

The hours. I see my co-workers more often than anything else. I hate that we are the very last people to know anything. We usually don't find out until the day of that something has changed. It's difficult to take the verbal abuse from customers, but then again that is expected. I don't like that we get "jean passes" for days when managers know the calls are going to be very difficult due to a major change. I hate that every single day that you walk in you don't know if you're going to be taken into a small back room & given a box to retrieve your things. It's stressful! I don't think I have ever had a job this demanding. You have to satisfy a customer, give all disclosures, update account information,, upsell them something, tell them about online features & get cursed out within a 6-7 min period. (depending on call type.)

Advice to Management

Please, acknowledge that people work hard for you. Some people actually care about the company, co-workers, and also customers very much! If you keep pushing harder & harder to make more money the good customer service rep's you already have may find employment someplace else. I understand money is important, it is business. Just take that into account, please!

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Never Recognized"

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Alvin, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Alvin, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing (at least those on the same level), opportunity, different locations, free service

Cons

Mandated Overtime, Confusing Attendance Policies, health insurance, management, misinformation, communication, culture, hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep all employees happy if you would still like to keep your customers satisfied. Happy employees equals happy customers. Stop using empty threats to get performance, it doesnt work. If you promise something to your employees, keep it. If you cannot keep it, communicate with your employees and let them know why, don't just ignore it. Policies change and no one ever seems to know what it is, provide proper communication to avoid confusion. Mandated overtime is to be expected, however, minutes before the end of shift is not acceptable. Management wants numbers more than anything and will hound over employees until they get it, this will force employees to do just the opposite and creates a hostility at the workplace. I know many employees that have left this company because they were simply unhappy and were not treated fairly. I know many employees that were terminated under false pretenses and that I do not agree with. Employees that go above and beyond, are never recognized and have the hardest time moving up within the company. I am one of those that was never recognized and because of this, I am looking for more support within the company at a different location and willing to pay hundreds of dollars seeking happiness elsewhere.

"Worst company I ever worked for - and I'm pretty old!"

Former Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

Business rules change on a whim. Thornton location is an old, sick facility that needs to be cleaned and overhauled to prevent employee illness. Required scripting, and management insistence that you must upsell to even the most financially strapped customers, eradicate any rapport with customers. Supervisors/managers normally unavailable. After weeks of training, call center employees apparently cannot be trusted to use best judgement to deal with customers.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about how to treat employees. Satisfied employees translates to satisfied customers. Maybe then DISH would not be included in the Customer Service Hall of Shame.