DISH - This job is not for everyone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"This job is not for everyone."

Current Employee - Field Service Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance and expand throughout the nation.

Cons

Work can be stressful, goals can be unattainable and directives can sometimes not make any sense.

Advice to Management

Make it an uplifting experience to working here. The stress and frustration of managment can affect direct reports greatly!

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"No job security"

Pros

Working out on your own
    Sunny days

Cons

Weather
    No job security - numbers unreachable and you will be fired because of this.

Advice to Management

Stop.

"Love my office - Hate condescending superiors"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work in a high performing office like I do, you get less grief. The pay is respectable and the company is solvent. We are paid on time every pay period. 401k plan is good. The company is making investments to make additional streams of income. Great new innovation with the Hopper/Joey series receivers!

Cons

Culture from the top down is centered around self preservation. 90% of employees fear they could be talent upgraded or promoted to customer at some point. I listen to my superiors speaking poorly about the front line employees regularly. Grown men & women that carry the dish logo into the customers' homes daily. Sure not all technicians are world class, but it's easy to put these guys down when you have never done an install in your life or worked on a holiday (or you can't remember when you did) The industry is dying. So far the additional income streams are single sales, instead of repeat or reoccurring sales which will help sustain the company for years.
    The company has a great idea of keeping tv rates down by negotiating with the networks. This results in channel take downs that half the time don't ever return. I remember a day when Dish carried the full compliment of ESPN and Disney HD channels. There is no surprise we are not catching up to DirecTV. Our core prices may be less but what the customer gets is also less programming.
    Is working Christmas necessary? Seriously, is there enough profit made on that day that counteracts the morale killing. 9 out of 10 customers will say "I can't believe they make you work on Christmas" after they've made the appointment.

Advice to Management

Dish does not have a solid game plan. Never have for my 6.5 yrs. When you have a plan that works, you don't constantly need to amend it. I'm not talking about fine tuning. I'm talking about taking an initiative and micromanaging it for months. Then changing to something different, and then two years later, coming back to the original initiative that had results. The company preaches to treat it's money like it were your own. I wish they really meant this, because I would make investments in my team that built trust and loyalty.
    Practice what is preached in conference calls by mentoring upper managers to model behaviors they want middle managers to exhibit. Then expect middle managers to model and mentor front line managers. Instead all that happens is front line managers are told to mentor and take care of their team, but they are not being mentored or groomed. I assume this goes back to everyone being treated like a metric.