DISH - Worst? Yes and No | Glassdoor

"Worst? Yes and No"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN
Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, plenty of overtime if you want it or even if you don't, there's some great people to work with.

Cons

I've been sitting at my computer typing and retyping my frustrations for over an hour. I'm just going to go one at a time and see how long it takes.

Management - numbers, numbers, numbers - it's all they care about.

Metrics....
PPH - productivity = do more in less time
Completion Percentage - usually out of your control but what the hell graded on it anyway
CSATs - Happy customer = good Unhappy customer = bad regarless if it's your fault
TC12s - usually something the customer did but you still get dinged for it
Connectivity - usually out of your control also but, it's still your fault
Signal Strength - Only one that is in your control however' if you get a 69 instead of a 70 you get a fail

Routes and Field Resources - not done right and usually FRCs are overworked as much as the techs but trying to make the day go smoothly is a chore

Smart Home Sales - selling customers overpriced products and services you wouldn't buy yourself (it's all about profit and not the customer)

Working Holidays - really people can't go 1 day without TV anymore? Having worked almost evey holiday this past year including Xmas eve/day New Year's eve/day and having customers tell me I should be home with my family and not working really makes you wonder what is corporate thinking about when they're at home with their families while we're out working those days. Profit is my guess.

Training - basics are taught well enough for you to get a start but if you run across anything out of the ordinary you have no idea what to do. This includes new products and services you get told about and get a quick 5 minute rundown and off you go.

Communication - poor to begin with and getting worse with the launch of the Notes making it almost impossible to get any information received or conveyed.

Management - have to mention again for one reason, they focus more on the 1 bad than they do the 99 good.

I could go on all day but I think these are the major reasons why we feel this way.

Advice to Management

Try doing our job not for a day but for an entire week, one day isn't a good sampling it might be one of the good days. A week isn't a great sampling either but the weeks usually seem to be more consistant than a day does.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Horrible. This company does not value its employees. At all."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Really. There are none.

Cons

DISH does not treat their employees like adults. They treat you like slaves, and that is not an exaggeration. Case in point:
    - When you start working there, they give you a list of their company's value's/expectations. One is: Do one more thing before you go home every day.

Really? Really. Are you serious. You know we are people, right? This is disgusting. Why don't you try managing like a human being. Just because you are CEO doesn't mean there aren't equally talented, smart people working at your company, who BY THE WAY, make your company run!! Company could not turn a profit without its human capital and talent. And even if you do think of everyone as minions, why would you want them to feel like slaves that your'e trying to squeeze every minute out of by putting this as one of the company's values/core expectations? Given the no-work-from-home-ever policy and the must-eat-lunch-between-11:30-2 policy, you'd think you could at least leave this one off. Give me a break.

Health insurance is really poor compared to other companies. Really poor. And this is across the board.

401K match is a joke, they hardly match anyyyyyything. Management is cool with you eating dog food when you're retired and 70!

Employees are not empowered to do their jobs. It's a joke. You can't do cross-functional collaboration to own a project and accomplish it. Just gotta submit to your manager. Seriously, the issues that my manager's manager deals with make me laugh. I honestly cannot believe someone at that level gets that involved in the weeds. Do they not have bigger fish to fry and things to work on. Wow.

There's more but I"m not wasting time to write about this crappy company.. if you decide to work here get ready to be treated like a slave/robot.

Oh yeah, and it's really really annoying that they basically force you to get DISH service. If your employees don't want to get DISH, don't make them. You say it's about getting to know the product, but given the culture at your company noooo one is going to buy that. It's clearly cuz you know when people leave they're not likely to want to switch service due to the hassle. We're not stupid, you know.

I am leaving this company asap.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap.

"Some of upper management makes the job amazing, while others ruin it."

Former Employee - Various Different Job Titles in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Various Different Job Titles in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a great opportunity for those willing to work hard and stay focused. If you are under the right manager/upper management the jobs great. I was there 3 years and started at the very bottom as a customer service representative and going on my 2nd year I was offered 2 promotions within that same year. It was a great experience until the lack of organization and managements inability to listen (in a specific department) got the best of & ruined everything.

Cons

You should expect to be just another number and to work in an element of fear. Majority (not all) of management will not listen to issues or concerns that individuals or teams may have. They have random HUGE mass firings where you'll see anywhere from 50-200 people- if not more let go at one time.

Advice to Management

Consider listening to what your employees are telling you and at least investigate the concern/issue further.