DISH - DISH can DEFINITELY improve in many areas to make this place more enjoyable | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"DISH can DEFINITELY improve in many areas to make this place more enjoyable"

Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO
Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, free dish tv, Paid time off

Cons

Point system for absences or lates. 5 points is what you get for 3 months. 1 point for everyday missed and 1/2 point for every day late or half day off. And by late I mean you get a 5 minute grace period and then 1 minute after that it's a half point. You gain each point back 3 months from when you used it but once you hit 5 that your final warning, miss or late one more time your fired.

Hardly any pay raises. I've been here for over a year and had one pay increase and that was 90 days after hire. Advancing within the company is based metrics. So is pay for performance, where you get commission for your upsells but then if your not perfect on metrics you lose out and the CSAT surveys that customers take, you have no control over, same goes for customers calling in within 3 days of talking to you and AHT... sometimes good customer service takes time!

No holidays off unless your scheduled off. I will give them that my call center was closed on Christmas this year, but not last year. But I had to work on my day off to get New Years, you get holiday pay BUT.... If your 1 minute late from your schedule start, 1 minute late from your lunch and log out less than 1 minute past your shift end, you don't get paid. RIDICULOUS!! AND you have to do that the day before, day of (if scheduled) and the day after. They observe black friday as a holiday but not x-mas eve.

Advice to Management

STOP with the point system for absences and lates. Loosen the slack on metrics and on how you QUALIFY for holiday pay. I'm there working on a holiday when a lot of others are not having to work because they close, I should get paid regardless of whether or not I there 5 minutes before or 1 minute late considering it takes 2 minutes to log into the computer. How about pay raises more often like every 6 months.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

1. "Mostly Pleasent"

Current Employee - ERT Chat in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - ERT Chat in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

**** Great Opportunity to move to different departments for career path now that "Internal Transfers" go through HR instead of Coaches and Management.
    **** Shift bids according to performance
    **** Management becoming more receptive to employee initiative for ideas.

Cons

**** Shift bids according to performance
    **** Management has a long way to go to be fully receptive to employee ideas and input
    **** Too much emphases on time vs quality. I.E. using the avaerage of agents handle time that have a high call back rate.

Advice to Management

**** Many of the people I hear complain about how bad DISH is. Most likely would not last a week in the military. Too many of them expect hand outs. To me they were poampered by their parents and are unable to handle a bad situation without crying to Mommy or Daddy.

"Worst job I've ever had!"

Former Employee - Material Handler, TECH (Installer) in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler, TECH (Installer) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest "Pro" was the high turn-over rate. Eventually the micromanaging manager or supervisor who made your life at work miserable would be belittled and fired by someone higher up then themselves. Those days and other days when Dish lost lawsuits became the best days I ever experienced working for both EchoStar and Dish Network.

Cons

When I worked for Dish the company was trying to obtain an industry award. To obtain this award they needed more subscribers, and specifically more employee subscribers. To achieve this every office and warehouse location posted a list containing the names of all employees at that location. Next to everyone's name was an indication of whether or not that employee had Dish Network service in their home. All of us were told by management that we needed to sign up for Dish service with no exceptions. Those of us that did not or could not because of Home Owner Association Rules or other restrictions with apartment complexes were routinely harassed to do so, and were denied raises regardless of our performance on the job. Many of us worked for Dish but preferred other service providers namely DirecTV for their superior programming and customer service. Dish offered a "discount" but not completely free programming for its employees, and many of us would rather pay full price for a competitors service which should be our right to do whatever we like outside of work. This award that Dish was striving for, and I believe eventually obtained gave bonuses to all of those at the top with Charlie Ergen and very little to nothing to the mast majority of the company employees who did 90% of the work at Dish. I worked for both EchoStar and later Dish Network, and both jobs were the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Start over from scratch, and begin doing so with Charlie Ergen. Then, and only then will Dish Network and Echostar have a chance at being a great company to work for.