DISH - Great Place to work but not for everyone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Great Place to work but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Paso, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been here 7 years and been promoted four times. If you work you will be rewarded. Fast paced not for those who just show up to work to get a paycheck and then while about here.

Cons

No company credit card. Must share hotel rooms when traveling in groups

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

1. "Good company...but could be better"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Grain Valley, MO
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Grain Valley, MO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for Dish. I get guaranteed overtime in the spring and summer and depending on workloads even in fall and winter. Usually only have to work four days a week most the year. Get to work unsupervised. Being a remote technician get to keep van and equipment at home. Get to something "different" every day and meet different people every day.

Cons

The metrics which techs get bonuses is very flawed.

-Connectivity: In this technological world a lot of people are using their phones to create hotspots to get on the internet, which we cannot connect to. Or people only have limited data usage on satellite internet which our systems just eat right through the usage allowance.

-TC Rates: I don't fully blame the CSRs but some make it seem like if they cannot appease a customer over the phone or take a little time to try and troubleshoot over the phone they send a tech, which hits us with trouble calls (TC). Even something as simple as changing inputs on the tv or changing the batteries on the remote.

Benefits are awful. For myself and my two children I half to spend $140 every two weeks for the better medical insurance. I require medication and it costs me $125 every two weeks for one vial until I meet the deductible. The cost of the medication before insurance is $300. My last two jobs only required me to pay $70 every three months for six vials.

Advice to Management

Improve the metrics of PI. Maybe remove connectivity. Investing in looking after the CSRs require notes or CSR names like the techs are to followup on bogus trouble calls. Otherwise great company.

Find better insurance

2. "The Dish springboard"

Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Dish twice and survived. The first time was a trial by fire, but definitely for my own benefit. It was my first tech position, handling technical support and customer service. It was not easy, It was a struggle every day to go back, but it was a test for me to see how long I could last. I may have only lasted six months in the front lines, but it gave me the experience and capabilities to advance my career into higher level positions abroad. Each company I went to after I left Dish saw my experience in technical support as a valuable asset to their organization. As my career advanced, and time passed, I saw another position at Dish that I was perfect for, and envisioned the opportunity as a gateway into higher level positions. I spent the first six months as a contract in IT and was hired on full time. My team is a collection of the most amazing individuals I have ever worked with and I am proud to come to work every day and associate myself with people strong enough to thrive in "The Worst Company in America". After all, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, and if I ever chose to leave Dish again? I think I could take on any company in stride.

Cons

Micromanagement is a small problem when it comes to large scale projects and communication seems to be "need to know" in certain circumstances, but from my experience, its a current trend in companies I have worked for and does not reflect negatively on work culture at Dish.

Advice to Management

A little freedom goes a long way. I hear people complain about core hours, smoking restrictions, and limited advancement possiblilities for certain teams. I think if people felt like the company was there to help, people would invest more energy into improving the work environment.