DISH - Dish-Satisfaction | Glassdoor

"Dish-Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Blacksburg, VA
Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dish Network is a company that has substantiated itself as a leader in the industry when it comes to technology, programming, and pricing. I am happy to represent a company that has so much to offer to customers with cutting edge technology and that cares so deeply about it's customers feedback (which is a con as well).
Thanks for leaning back on Mandatory ET!
Making ET incentives to loosen dress code, roll back occurrence points etc...
I have been with Dish for many years and the only constant is change which is allows me to feel comfortable writing a cons section and knowing that with change comes the possibility of positive progression!

Cons

Our metrics are a major area of focus in which we have opportunity as a business.
Agents have stats that are built upon QA (Quality assurance) AHT (average handle time) repeat rate and CSAT. Now above I listed caring what our customers think as a pro however it can be a con as well. Right now our structure is based on hitting all the metrics above 98.01% to goal or higher but with CSAT (customer satisfaction) your Pay For Performance is paid out on a percentage of CSAT. So if you are 110% to goal you could receive 35% payout. Customers are called back to do our survey and rank our questions 1-5 1 being the worst and 5 being the best. There are times where a customer scores the survey a 1 or 2 and the supervisor has to call the customer back. If they leave no voicemail stating that the agent did a great job and referencing the agent by name the low survey score will not be overturned. Even if the supervisor calls back and the customer says the last agent was great it will not be overturned. So the supervisor takes their time they could use to develop the agents to call customers back that will make no difference in overturning CSATs; and the Coaches stats/payout is based on all their agents together. This is demoralizing to Agents and Supervisors. I have seen instances were a customer has escalated and the tool malfunctioned that sends the customer and the survey to the supervisors line. When the CSAT survey was disputed the person in charge of overturning them said no. There is no written structure of what is/can be overturned. So this one person has the power to make any decision he feels is right with no structure. Dish is too big of a company and this is too sensitive of an issue that can potentially shift up to 35% less on an agent's paycheck.
When you bring these issues up they get easily dismissed and the more you bring them up the more they sound like a complaint.

Advice to Management

Come up with a structured dispute process that allows agents and Coaches to know that they have an equal and fair opportunity to have CSATs disputed/overturned and increase morale.

Don't create forums and round tables that are designed for feedback and then micro-manage/reprimand Agents for using those avenues to provide feedback/criticism.

Create as many incentives as you can for all positions not just agents

Give all departments a chance to get some type of Pay For Performance (Bonuses)

What you are doing well continue to do it!

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Don't go down this road"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortune 200 company, can't think of anything else

Cons

low pay, poor benefits, low morale

Advice to Management

Pay your employees something that they can live off of. My department schedules potlucks, happy hours, etc. around pay day because everyone lives pay check to pay check. Smart people here too, degrees from Notre Dame, CO school of Mines, DU, Virginia Tech, and more, and it's not uncommon for us to do a ride along with a technician who makes more then us. Managers will ask you to take on a project, and then claim to their superiors that the work is their own, even going so far as scrubbing emails. A great place to come to work if you're a glutton for punishment, otherwise you can and will find something better.

"I was one of their best up and coming new technicians and was treated, for lack of a better term, like garbage."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was plenty of work to be had. You rarely ever didn't make overtime any given week.

Cons

Customer jobs are given a predetermined amount of points and performance is measured by hours worked and points completed. Daily workloads sometimes require extra attention and work to correctly install customers, resulting in long hours more days than not, resulting in poor "points per hour" or PPH, though jobs are completed properly. Other performance areas suffer if you try to improve PPH. New performance measurements and expectations are always being added and modified against the technician, with no input or feedback from the technician. Technicians are also expected to sell customers expanded services and products including TV screen cleaners. A technician now is expected to keep PPH high, to clean the customers TVs to sell them a $15 product every job, and to sell other products and services. For all intents and purposes we became glorified maids and door to door cold salemen as well as technicians, with no significant extra compensation or incentives. The blame goes to the corporate culture and not so much management because management is just passing on what corporate expects from the technicians and even if they do complain to corporate for us, nothing is ever done. Everything is always negative. You could be the best technician with the best numbers in all tracked performance categories, if you didn't meet your sales goal for the month or didn't make goal in just one category, the environment corporate and management set up, you get beaten down for failing in that category and not glorified for success in all others. Even though there are clear correlations between categories like PPH and others that contradict each other. Success in one reduces performance in others. The job sets up its employees for failure and not for success. There is also very little trust, you have to constantly take time and steps to cover yourself in case something goes wrong. If you leave anything to chance and something goes wrong, a customer complains for something that was not your fault, it was your fault.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to tell corporate and your superiors what policies they are passing down that don't make sense or are far too demanding of technicians that show little appreciation towards them and little or no appropriate compensation.