DISH - Demoralizing, Every Man For Himself Company Culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Demoralizing, Every Man For Himself Company Culture"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA
Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Van, Tools, Training and Uniform provided. No personal investment required (think contractors). Enjoyable to work outdoors. Like any job, I'll miss the people I worked with.

Cons

I started working for Dish with a can-do, carpe diem, make your own opportunities work ethic, and left downtrodden and cynical 18 months later.
Without exaggeration, in an office of about 20 technicians, an average of one and a half technicians left for every month I worked there. We were hired to work 4x10 shifts, but it was very rare to work less than 12 hours. As we started to lose techs faster than we hired them, one or two days of mandatory overtime a week was the norm. Yes, we were paid, but it was mandatory and usually imposed right before the end of the work week. You made plans for the weekend a month ago? Too bad. You hardly ever spend time with friends or family because you're desperate to hold on to your $14/hour job? Take it or leave it. This multibillion dollar company won't risk one penny of its share value to improve working conditions.
The most important tools used to evaluate your job performance were QAS (quality assurance inspections) and the dreaded metrics. If you fail a single QAS within three months of the last failure, you are ineligible for promotion or any raises. This would actually be reasonable if you were being judged on brand new installs at single family homes in the suburbs. However, not only were we usually tested on triplexes and MDUs in the city where it is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE to do a standard install, but we were held to the same standard for trouble calls, which we were expected to complete within one hour. Did the installer practically destroy the house three years ago? Will it take 3 hours to fix? Too bad, all the other techs have their own ridiculous routes to worry about and you're responsible. At least you can keep your job, though.
With metrics, your job was constantly at stake and numerous techs were fired by nameless middle managers with access to spreadsheets with our numbers. Thinking that he was coming in for mandatory overtime, one tech was called in on his day off only to discover someone had ordered his termination. The metrics included job completion rate, 12 day trouble call rate, and customer survey score. They were largely out of our control and impossible to dispute.
I'm against unions in general, but I felt so angry and desperate most of the time, I would have risked my job to join one. I really felt like I had nothing to lose towards the end.

Advice to Management

What is there to say when the CEO responds to legitimate and overwhelmingly negative criticism from rank and file employees by saying there are worse places to work? Where's the concern? The economy is improving and your best employees will not forget how they were treated when they had nowhere else to go. Dish will never again go through a period of adding a million customers a year, and it needs to give a little back (money, benefits, humane working conditions) to its employees if it wants to hang on to the customers it already has. Instead, it has taken a near-sighted approach of extreme cost cutting, and substituting good, local, common sense management with a distant, manage by numbers approach.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"My Experience at Dish Network In a flash"

Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and great trainers.

Cons

Very Stressful, Mandatory overtime, too many restrictions!

Advice to Management

If you're going to keep us on the phone with so many rules, permit us to do something to keep us sane!

"The good, the bad and the cheap"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay, generous bonus structure for hourly and salaried employees. The culture is hard driving, do what it takes to succeed and is definitely not for everyone. But if you don't mind hard work and you are willing to go the extra mile to achieve results, DISH will be a good fit. There are also lots of opportunities for growth and change and DISH leadership encourages and supports change, new ideas and innovation. opportunities for advancement for college graduates but not to many opportunities for those without a degree.

Cons

DISH expects dedication, hard work and some long work days. This is not a 9-5 office. DISH leadership does not seem to understand the work life balance. Benefits are lacking. Health benefits have costly premiums and one of the highest deductibles that I have ever experienced ($1250 for an individual and $2500 for a couple or family.) If you are relatively healthy and never in an accident, you basically pay for all of your health care out of pocket never reaching your deductible. Vision coverage is almost non existent and mental health coverage is non existent (seriously!) DISH cheaps out on its employees in order to put more money in its coffers.

DISH has a fatal flaw. They see themselves as a technology company like Apple or Google. They do not understand that they are a service provider. Because of this they consistently under value their customers and their employees that touch their customers. If they put as much effort and funds into creating exceptional service as they invest in technology, they could be top of the line. instead, they squeeze the hourly employees and the customer to get as much as possible from each and discard when they cant squeeze any more out of either.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on the deductible, offer better vision, dental and mental health coverage. You'll need this to keep your best employees as the economy continues to improve. Learn to value your customers and your field staff. A content staff is happy and upbeat and comes across in the service they provide; a stressed out, rushed and harried staff provides ... Its not rocket science.