DISH - Not an employee focused employer. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Not an employee focused employer."

Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN
Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very good at promoting from within. Employees with drive and talent can progress to positions throughout the company.

Cons

Field employees are required to work excessive hours. The company does not seriously consider the safety issues surrounding weather and exhaustion.

Advice to Management

Balance the desire to grow with the benefits of a satisfied employee.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Dish-Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dish Network is a company that has substantiated itself as a leader in the industry when it comes to technology, programming, and pricing. I am happy to represent a company that has so much to offer to customers with cutting edge technology and that cares so deeply about it's customers feedback (which is a con as well).
    Thanks for leaning back on Mandatory ET!
    Making ET incentives to loosen dress code, roll back occurrence points etc...
    I have been with Dish for many years and the only constant is change which is allows me to feel comfortable writing a cons section and knowing that with change comes the possibility of positive progression!

Cons

Our metrics are a major area of focus in which we have opportunity as a business.
    Agents have stats that are built upon QA (Quality assurance) AHT (average handle time) repeat rate and CSAT. Now above I listed caring what our customers think as a pro however it can be a con as well. Right now our structure is based on hitting all the metrics above 98.01% to goal or higher but with CSAT (customer satisfaction) your Pay For Performance is paid out on a percentage of CSAT. So if you are 110% to goal you could receive 35% payout. Customers are called back to do our survey and rank our questions 1-5 1 being the worst and 5 being the best. There are times where a customer scores the survey a 1 or 2 and the supervisor has to call the customer back. If they leave no voicemail stating that the agent did a great job and referencing the agent by name the low survey score will not be overturned. Even if the supervisor calls back and the customer says the last agent was great it will not be overturned. So the supervisor takes their time they could use to develop the agents to call customers back that will make no difference in overturning CSATs; and the Coaches stats/payout is based on all their agents together. This is demoralizing to Agents and Supervisors. I have seen instances were a customer has escalated and the tool malfunctioned that sends the customer and the survey to the supervisors line. When the CSAT survey was disputed the person in charge of overturning them said no. There is no written structure of what is/can be overturned. So this one person has the power to make any decision he feels is right with no structure. Dish is too big of a company and this is too sensitive of an issue that can potentially shift up to 35% less on an agent's paycheck.
    When you bring these issues up they get easily dismissed and the more you bring them up the more they sound like a complaint.

Advice to Management

Come up with a structured dispute process that allows agents and Coaches to know that they have an equal and fair opportunity to have CSATs disputed/overturned and increase morale.

Don't create forums and round tables that are designed for feedback and then micro-manage/reprimand Agents for using those avenues to provide feedback/criticism.

Create as many incentives as you can for all positions not just agents

Give all departments a chance to get some type of Pay For Performance (Bonuses)

What you are doing well continue to do it!

"Don't go down this road"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortune 200 company, can't think of anything else

Cons

low pay, poor benefits, low morale

Advice to Management

Pay your employees something that they can live off of. My department schedules potlucks, happy hours, etc. around pay day because everyone lives pay check to pay check. Smart people here too, degrees from Notre Dame, CO school of Mines, DU, Virginia Tech, and more, and it's not uncommon for us to do a ride along with a technician who makes more then us. Managers will ask you to take on a project, and then claim to their superiors that the work is their own, even going so far as scrubbing emails. A great place to come to work if you're a glutton for punishment, otherwise you can and will find something better.