DISH - Satellite TV Technician/Installer | Glassdoor

"Satellite TV Technician/Installer"

Current Employee - Satellite TV Technician/Installer in Loveland, CO
Current Employee - Satellite TV Technician/Installer in Loveland, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to control your own destiny. Working with customers. Dish has a great product. Dish is trying to be number one in customer service. They provide the tools required for the job.

Cons

High school shop class mentality. Some previous installations are hack jobs that appear to be performed by jack leg installers primarily Direct TV contractors. Not all Direct TV installations are hack jobs and neither are all of the DISH installations installed to company standards. Dish is working to improve installation quality and service. The vans and trucks need to be serviced, and washed when they are dirty not just every other week.

Advice to Management

Support the techs better. Don't jump to conclusions if a tech calls for help they have called as a last resort, the tech is already stressed, be supportive instead of jumping to conclusions. Improve the field training so new tech's are not just thrown to the wolves.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

1. "Changed my life forever"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, constantly changing. DISH has a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and the employees who enjoy working at DISH do too. I started as a customer service representative in 1998 and I am currently a senior project manager in our IT organization. I don't know of many companies where an individual can come in at entry level and grow their career like I have. My salary is 6 times what it was when I was hired, and I have a serious amount of valuable experience.

Cons

DISH is at a crossroads where there's some serious "growing up" to do. There's an old saying I've heard that really stuck with me. In business, you can have only 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast, or Good. While DISH was growing rapidly with the Pay TV industry we only needed to be fast and cheap. Now that the industry has matured and rapid growth has stopped, DISH won't survive on cheap and fast. Now things have to be good. DISH must evolve to attract top talent and shed the poor reputation as an indifferent employer. While I do believe DISH needs to make improvements, I also believe the poor reputation is grossly overstated and not well deserved.

Advice to Management

It's time to move past cheap and fast. It's now time to be good... really really good.

"DISH - Definitely the worst company to work for!"

Former Employee - Agent, CSS, Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Agent, CSS, Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The plants in the corporate building are very nice.

Cons

Initially I worked in the Littleton Call Center, aka Riverfront as a Commercial Customer Service Representative. First off, the building is dirty. The dining rooms are filthy. There is so much dust and dander above in the exposed duct work that many people, including myself had respiratory issues.
    Quality of life is 100% non-existent at Dish. You are given a horrible schedule that can and will change within a day or two notice. Transportation, school or childcare issues, you better figure it out and fast! Management doesn’t care. The worst was when a holiday came up, if you were 1 of the 4 people who requested it off and got approved, you were lucky – the others would still be expected to come in for their regular shift and hope they get sent home early, (without pay) so you couldn’t plan a family BBQ or trip because you were expected to be at work – even though being in the commercial department, most businesses would be closed on say a 4th of July, but forecasting is something that is unheard of in this call center, so you would be expected to show up and then get sent home because by mid-morning management would finally realize that most businesses are closed on the 4th of July, but your day is wrecked. It was this way for every holiday.
    Training is also non-existent at Dish. Most agents would make up the answer, because management, even trainers usually didn’t know and nothing relevant can be found on the intranet. College sports, PPV events, the launch of the Joey/Hopper, Dish Internet – forget about it! What a joke, it was the blind leading the blind. Sure they held “Up Trainings” whereas you were supposed to be refreshed on topics or introduced to a new product, but when even the “trainer” doesn’t know the product or details, it is a lost cause.
    After 1.5 years in the call center, I finally got my big break, my big promotion to corporate for a job well done. Ha. This was actually a “demotion”, as I lost all the overtime and commission I was receiving as an agent and switched to salary. So, I lost about $350 a month by accepting this demotion. When we are talking Dish pay, $350 is monumental. I also had to pay for public transportation all the way out to the corporate office in Meriden, (which is out in the middle of nowhere) since Dish doesn’t provide RTD passes (even though they are headquartered here and the corporate office & a major call center (Riverfront) are located on the Lightrail lines, which was another $100 a month gone. I turned down the demotion initially, but was strong-armed and basically threatened into accepting it. Luckily, I didn’t go bankrupt while employed at Dish, but it was certainly close.
    Health Insurance. I would have been better off not to have the insurance at all – going to the doctor would cost a small fortune, on top of the huge monthly premium I had to pay. It’s a shame that a company this large has such terrible benefits.
    Corporate. The building was nice, had nice plants. However, you had, had to be scanned in NO LATER than 9:00am. If you were 30 seconds late and the time rolled over to 9:01, you would be on “Charlie’s List” – this is a list that goes to Charlie Ergen of anyone who was “late”. If you showed up late, (no matter the reason) you would have to explain yourself to your department Vice President. Even if you worked 10, 12 hour days, you better be in before 9am. Now, if you had a pre-scheduled appointment, your supervisor could send an email to a “LateArrivals” email address to excuse you.
    While at corporate, I realized that nothing gets done because most everyone spends their time being busy, opposed to being productive. Going here, going there, attending this or that meeting that they don’t need to, just shuffling around, trying to look important. I also heard a lot of “that’s not my job” or “that’s not my department” when asking for something as simple as a report or data. A lot of shuffling around and busy work. As opposed to taking care of business and being productive. I was on the receiving end of this while in the call center, experienced the ball being dropped by corporate first hand.
    I could go on and on and on. Bottom line, I am flabbergasted at how poorly Dish treats its employees and customers. I do not recommend that anyone work at Dish or subscribe to Dish service.

Advice to Management

Take the time to invest in employees- pay, training, benefits, etc and in turn, they will be happy and actually care, which will reflect in the customer service.