DISH - Promising at first, but fell flat | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Promising at first, but fell flat"

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free TV services for employees
- decent 401k, paid vacation
- co-workers
- advancement opportunities
- continuous training & coaching

Cons

- health benefits are so-so
- bureacracy
- changing business policies
- lack of communication between departments
- changing performance goals and metrics

Advice to Management

Develop both a short and long-term business plan, share that plan & vision with employees, so we can all be on the same page, striving to make DISH #1 instead of everyone being running around doing their own thing and pointing fingers at each other.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"You've been warned..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

- You get discounted, not free, TV service
    - Location in Douglas County is nice because there's little traffic to contend with
    - You can turn a job into a career. Many employees who started in low level hourly jobs now with big paychecks and in high positions; also a con - see below
    - You no longer get charged for plastic forks or spoons in the cafeteria

Cons

I would not recommend working here.

- The health insurance plans SUCK. Understand that the main health plan is a HDHP; high deductible health plan. If you are young, have no health issues and no family, this can work for you. If you have a family and any type of minor health issues, this is beyond a costly plan. They just raised the cost per month on families this year as well. I pay over $300/month and have to cover everything out of pocket up to my $11,000 deductible. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE HIGH DEDUCTIBLE HEALTH PLANS!!!
    -There's absolutely no flexibility in work schedules. Working from home is strictly not allowed. The core hours although technically removed are still in effect. If you arrive/leave before/after 9am/4pm, it will be held against you.
    - The culture is highly political. If you send an email to a person higher in the org chart, chances are they will not respond to you. It requires your manager to get involved constantly to get any attention.
    - There are a ton of people at DISH with 10-20 years at the company who have been promoted in to positions beyond their skillset. They are good at their jobs because they know the company inside and out and who to talk to but don't have outside experience to draw upon and therefore processes and systems are antiquated.
    - The giant Meridian facility is a nightmare. Parking sucks, the interior is old and beat up, computers are old; my monitor is a 4:3 aspect; didn't know they still existed... there are too few bathrooms for the amount of people in the building, the cafeteria is severely under-equiped to heat up your food at lunch; all minor issues but an annoyance on a daily basis.
    - There's an underlying distrust of employees that is so engrained in the culture that no matter how much window dressing they do in an attempt to change the perception, it will always be viewed as a prison work release program as one person so eloquently described it.

Advice to Management

Joe Clayton is a step in the right direction but there is a lot of damage that needs to be repaired. I won't be around to see how it turns out.

"Decent work but could be better"

Former Employee - Former Fss3 in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Former Fss3 in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay
    - Work with good people

Cons

- micromanaged to death
    - expected to meet metrics that we have no control over (ip connectivity)
    - Expected to score 10 on customer surveys on every job or else....... (Even though we talk to the customer about the survey they still give what ever score they want, get that through your thick head)
    - Expected to be a tech but also spend time trying to sell products to customers (when no sales are made you have to listen to upper management complain that your not doing good enough)
    - No actual hands on training with new products (if your going to release a new product why would us techs not get a chance to have it in our house to try out and learn all we can to help educate the customer better). We should not have to pay for these products to train ourselves.
    -Get hammered with jobs and expected to make sure all are 100% up to code while trying to keep your stats up, this is one of the major stressful parts of this job.
    -Constant fear of the qas nazi failing your jobs (Not having a sticker on the remote.... FAIL)
    -Joe Claytons "just one more" attitude. How about you go out on the road and do 4 - 6 jobs and do just one more, get real we do enough.
    -Idiotic training videos (videos covering how to use power tools. Stuff that we all know and don't need some women acting like she has picked up a tool in her entire life). Money used for these videos could be used in oh I don't know better equipment (lots of faulty receivers causing tc's that we get marked down for) or increased pay.
    -Sales rep that lie to customers to make a sale and we get stuck with telling them the truth and then having to deal with them.

Advice to Management

show more respect to your techs.