DISH - Opportunity | Glassdoor

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great growth opportunities. Focused on improving the culture.

Cons

Benefits could be better. IT department could be better.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing your people.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Unfair Treatment"

Former Employee - Coach in Bluefield, WV
    Former Employee - Coach in Bluefield, WV

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A paycheck and cannot think of anything else

Cons

Never written up, termed for "not the talent needed" after 7yrs 8mts while ranked number 1 coach in the call center.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat people better (employees and customers)

"34 Pages,,before anything above a one star review,,please wake up, because I am still awake thinking about THAT fact!"

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Helpful veteran employees that have somehow survived long enough are available to share knowledge, but I have seen the opposite issues in other parts of the company.

Cons

Work/family balance - This has been mentioned over and over. People with families have unexpected issues, need time off, should not be dinged for being late, needing appointments in the middle of the day, or leaving early on occasion. This should be left to the
    discretion of their manager and their manager alone. Stay out of your "trusted" manager's way. If there is abuse, those managers will take care of it. If not, recognize that you need a better manager or better training for those in management. We have a very diverse group of people with many different challenges who can add value to this company, please recognize that.

LEAD training: I would hope that the point of this training is not only to improve the skills of current management (and to point out the differences between management and true leadership) but also teach those in management the differences in how to lead different personality types to do their jobs to the best of their ability. I have not seen that happening unfortunately, due to the written and mostly un-written policies that this company still has in place. A field ops person versus and call center person versus an IT developer versus a corporate type does not equate, at all. Please cheak in with those that have had this training and see if we are doing it correctly and getting benefit from it.

Training and onboarding: At corporate, we get a nice general onboarding session (which frankly comes off as a defence of rediculous policies that seem to be still in force despite obvious examples to the contrary), but once we get to our department, there is no plan, no "mille-stones" to reach within our 90 probabtion period, nothing. That makes the high achievement types very uncomfortable, even though we ask, make up our own goals, make up own own little projects so we have something to do each day. I want this:

My desk should be set up for me ready to work the day I walk in. Sure, I understand there are exceptions, but seeing the "last guys" stuff still there with his files still around is depressing, as in an "Oh, I am just the next number in line" guy or gal. Nice. This doesn't put you in the mindset of success.

Software, access, etc should be in place. I had email, which was nice, because the veteran employees could contact me and know what a mess I was coming into and set-up meetings with me. The ITSD fom is lacking to say the least, including the process surrounding it. You can fill it out, but it is archaic to say the least. It should be easy for managers to fill out, with a drop-down where they simply pick the role of the incoming employee and all that they need is auto-populated, wiht options for more depending on the unique role.

The onboarding plan should contain a 1 week, 2 week, one month, three month and 90 day plan. I know there was one out their, but it stalled. This IS money,this is investment, but worth it.

Get rid of poor management that is holding you back from "transformation" if that is your real goal: There are managers still out their that probably enjoy the head-hunting mentality that is supposed to be part of DISH's past. They are bullies that don't have leaderships skills and have thrived during the economic downturn because jobs for great, hardworking non-management types (who are your most valuable employees, cost-to-profit, IMO) are hard to come by, and these manager-types LOVE to fire, punish, scare, and get a high off of running good employees off. Sound crazy? Well, Google is your friend, this happens all of the time.

I have more about call center and Field Ops, but I have to be at work on time tomorrow, kids issues be damned! I wish I could help you, I really do. I wish I could be pat of an amazing transformation.

Advice to Management

See above