DISH - I love this job but it's not for everyone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"I love this job but it's not for everyone."

Current Employee - Installer in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Installer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay, bi-weekly bonuses, cheap Dish service, work mostly independent without someone hovering over you all day, work outside in new places everyday, Dish supplies everything but boots. You don't have to buy your own tools, gas, materials or uniforms. Plenty of room to grow and advance into a management or quality assurance position if you want. 401k, health, dental, short and long term disability, discounts on a bunch of services and products including Verizon and AT&T wireless service, discounts on new car purchases, 40% discount on the products we sell. In addition to the ability to get up to $250 bonus every check, we also get points for selling products and services that we can redeem for ipads, books, tents, bikes, hotel rooms, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Plenty of work, I've never been sent home for lack of work. Lots of paid vacation that you can start using as soon as your probation period is up. Paid holidays. Transfer to just about anywhere in the USA if you decide to move. Three days off every week. Get to meet new people everyday from all walks of life.

Cons

Health insurance deductible is pretty high. Also this job isn't for everyone. If you are scared of climbing high on ladders or under houses then look somewhere else. Also you will run into spiders, snakes and other critters. Sometimes you will work in extreme hot or cold conditions. As long as you know all this going into the job and don't have a problem with it the pros out weigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Getting an insurance plan with a lower deductible would be good.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"There are good days and bad days..."

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After being here 9 years, the pay is good. My salary has more than doubled since I started. However, I was around when there was actually a career path for coaches and not just an annual appraisal that may or may not come with an increase.

You can basically do whatever you want because there is no accountability.

Your peers are great and just as disgruntled as you.

If you, by pure luck, have good metrics you can get a good schedule.

Cons

The benefits are absolutely horrible. The company likes to pretend they "improved" our benefits by allowing same-sex couples to cover their spouses, which is great in states that allow same-sex marriage. The rest of us received an increase to our benefit payment while we still only have two choices - a $500 family deductible with only $10,000 in coverage, leaving the employee owing thousands if someone in the family has minor surgery, or a $2500 family deductible that means unless we have minor surgery, nothing will be covered in the coverage year. Dish is a multibillion dollar company and should be able to afford a non High Deductible Coverage Plan (HDCP).

Tuition reimbursement is a joke. They reimburse tuition but not fees, so the 75% is really like 25%.

They don't seem to care that their management team doesn't know how to manage. They have offered additional Leadership training, but that doesn't change the fact that some of their people are poor leaders at the core. Our management team says they care about people, then do the opposite. I'd post examples but I am trying to stay anonymous.

There are ridiculous rules, like you can't wear a hooded sweater at your desk, but its ok to wrap up in a Snuggie or blanket. In a position where no customers see you, you cannot wear Dish-provided t shirts unless its the weekend.

HR is a joke - they play favorites and work behind the scenes with the management team against the employees.

We hold our agents accountable for things that aren't their fault. If a customer is dissatisfied with a price increase and take a survey and give a bad score, the bad score hits the agent. If a technician calls in and requests a receiver to be replaced, and the testing department determines there is nothing wrong with the receiver, the agent takes the hit. If the agent follows the troubleshooting and sets up a technician visit, but the technician has to replace the receiver when he gets there, even though the troubleshooting doesn't say to replace the receiver (and agents are required to follow the troubleshooting) the agent gets hit with an invalid tech visit. If a tech calls in and activates an account today, and the customer calls in 3 days to change their programming, or even complain about the tech, the agent gets hit with a repeat call. And for all of these metrics, they refuse to provide us account-level data because we would see all the errors and mistakes in reporting. The company holds agents to made-up numbers.

Lack of transparency.

There is so much more. Don't work here. Ever.

Advice to Management

Move away from HDCPs. You're killing us.
    Fire your management team and start over with people who actually know how to manage.
    Actually treat your employees like people and not numbers.

2. "Move up te ladder lose morals on the way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Dish has great people an personalities that help with the work flow. They have perks and giveaways for some employees

Cons

Dish treats its supervisors and agents like children. Consistently changing metrics to make them unachievable. Being told to do something then being yelled at when you do. Forcing employees to take on new skills without any change in pay causing them to lose their bonus . Not enough training to managers and employees that actually cover real issues . Forced to meet AHT,QA,Repeat rate. Transfers Upsell all as new agent without any chance to meet.

Advice to Management

Remember when you were an agent? Or a coach? Yeah that's the person you should defend. Alot of upper management needs to stop looking for the cheating way to meet numbers and look for an actual outlook