DISH - Dish is a company that can use change! instead only promoting this. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Dish is a company that can use change! instead only promoting this."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One can pay the bills

Cons

Too much micromanagement, some opportunities for growth but not enough.

Advice to Management

Change, adopt a healthy culture that promotes good leadership!!

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

1. "Lack of leadership, pay, benefits & scare tactics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Free programming, good employees but leadership is reason why company is not successful.

Cons

Watch out, just announced budget cuts for next year to include salaries! We are walking people out soon. No job is safe! Executives just cashed out millions in their stock. CEO doing good on customer front, but nothing for employees except removing badge report.

Advice to Management

Leadership takes advantage of employees and travel. Known by employees of using travel for vacation purposes with NO business meetings attached. Do something for employees such as benefits and no threats of walking us out. New leaders (director & above) needed to truly improve company.

"Interesting work, competitive pay, but long time execs need to be "upgraded.""

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at DISH for quite a few years in a leadership capacity. The pros are: 1) competitive pay (a little on the low end but not unreasonable like some people post); 2) the work is really interesting as the company is dynamic; 3) Charlie Ergen is a visionary -- but should NOT be involved in setting any HR policies -- Joe Clayton is doing a good job in that regard; 4) a lot of smart people work here so you will grow and become better; 5) they are genuinely trying to make a change based on all of the negative publicity (much of which is unwarranted).

Cons

A lot of complaints about DISH are people being held accountable for unattainable performance goals. This is a legitimate complaint. However, the strange thing is that there are many people in executive positions who consistently fail to produce but stay employed year after year. Often, they'll leave and Charlie still brings them back because he prizes loyalty to him above all else. Charlie tends to want execs who will just do what he wants, so we have a lot of people in senior management positions who will put in a ton of hours (which is how their performance is measured) but don't bring anything new or creative to the table. We need new, fresh ideas. Charlie can't be the only person who does the thinking, but that's really how he seems to prefer it. Most of our senior executives would not make it even to the director level at other companies because they are afraid to challenge the status quo, and that includes changing the culture so that more employees view this as a favorable place to work. I'd like to see the SVPs and EVPs held as much accountable for performance as we hold our customer service reps, technicians and direct sales agents.

Advice to Management

Hire senior execs who aren't afraid to challenge Charlie when it's appropriate and bring new ideas to the table and fight for what's right. Many of the people in charge today are only there because they've demonstrated loyalty to Charlie over the years, but clearly aren't accountable for actual performance. Look at the sales results.....Sales execs wouldn't continue to be employed with that poor level of performance at any other company I know of. Let's make this a results oriented company with realistic goals and leadership who actually has the authority to make some changes. Most of the execs we have today are just very average guys who have no cretativity but stick around for their options to pay off. That's why good people don't stick around very long here. The execs here just aren't people most of us aspire to be.Stagnant senior leadership..