DISH - great experience but very long hours | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"great experience but very long hours"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Product Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a product marketing specialist at Dish for 2.5 years. I was part of the team that launched the hopper at the CES in 2012. I see a lot of negative reviews on this site, but it looks like those from the Dish Network Services and Customer Service departments. Working in marketing was a great experience for me.

- Experience: working at a large corporation developing and deploying a platform to a nationwide subscriber base. Great for my resume!
- Learning: the hopper is a robust device and platform with satellite tuners, an internet modem, apps, tuners, private (now public) APIs, a gigantic hard drive, and connections to large VOD and OTT services. I had to learn about this complex ecosystem, which was challenging and fun.
- Leadership: I got the opportunity
- Responsibility: Before Dish I was working at AT&T where I felt like another body in a cubicle and my contributions were insignificant, but at Dish I really felt a sense of ownership and team.

Cons

One thing I don't miss about Dish is working such long hours. I always took work home and was answering emails on the weekend. The vacation policy really sucked as well, but I hear it's gotten better in the last year. I hope so because 10 of PTO was not enough.

Also, the pay isn't great. For me, it was a great experience for 2.5 years, but I was glad to move on.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees. Too many of the best leave because of better pay elsewhere after they get experience at Dish.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"At Dish, hard work and long hours paid off"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the call center in pine brook as a sales rep for 2 years. Overall, this was a good experience where I learned a lot. Managers ask a lot from you, but I found that this pushed me to advance my career.

The biggest advantage of working in pay television is the commissions. If you can sell, then this is a great job with good pay. If you can't sell, then you won't make money.

It was encouraging to know that some of upper management started working in a call center, and then climbed their way to director or VP.

Cons

- The only employees that are promoted are people who work long, hard hours.
    - Sales representatives have a lot of stress!
    - A drug test is part of the interview process.
    - Your manager will probably make most decisions, and don't value employee's opinions as much as they should

Advice to Management

listen to your employees: we're the ones on the phone all day talking to subscribers.

2. "it was a great job to have"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Springfield, MA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the wages was great and the pay was beautiful

Cons

working long days...and manager sucks