DISH - it was a great job to have | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"it was a great job to have"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Springfield, MA
Current Employee - Team Lead in Springfield, MA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the wages was great and the pay was beautiful

Cons

working long days...and manager sucks

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Current employee in a management position"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck, It's a job, and in this lovely economy that's a good thing.

Cons

Crappy Pay
    Crappy Hours
    Good Ole Boys Club
    Charlie is out of day to day ops, but the Pinheads he hired in executive positions are still here so nothing has really changed-Joe is trying though
    No recognition of hard work
    Definitely no reward for hard work
    The epitome of "Do as I say, Not as I do" mentality
    Emphasis on ass kissing

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees for a change and stop thinking that just because they aren't happy doesn't mean we are all disgruntled former employees. The round tables seemed like a great idea, right up until we found out that HR management vets the data and then decides what is given to Joe to review. You want to know what’s going on around here, look at the raw complaints, not the watered down vetted ones that the HR Gestapo sends up to Joe. Management rewards the ass kisser and ignores the rest and dismisses them as disgruntled when they don't buy into the crap they dish out. Offer real solutions, and here's a hint, LEAD training is a joke, and even the employees recognize that it's merely meant to give the appearance that you are trying to change things. The worst offenders are most of the executive staff that to this day still thinks that they are not the problem. You cannot fix stupid, and Dish is loaded with stupid people and most of them are in management. Charlie is a great visionary and strategic planner, but a lousy leader, so it was a good move on his part to bring in Joe Clayton to run the operation. But Joe has a tough road ahead of him to change this pathetic culture that runs rampant within these walls! And one other thing, recognition is great, but a pat on the back DOES NOT PAY our bills. You want to show gratitude, give people more than a lousy 1-3% raise, especially when you are banking $300M+ net profits every quarter!

"Check your ethics at the door"

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tv. Also, my trainer, Paul, was extremely nice, funny, cool, and patient, as some people in my class simply could not grasp the very simplest of concepts.

Cons

1. "Random" drug test (mouth swab) sprung on you during interview.

I do not do drugs of any kind, but I still found this to be an invasive violation of privacy. My previous job did the mouth swab during the paperwork part, too, but they had the courtesy to tell me to expect it.

2. GM uses terrorism to welcome new hires during Orientation.

I never had enough respect for him to learn his name, but he's a bald, scary looking, mathematician. He starts out by telling you how hard the work is, how little you mean to him, how quickly he will fill your seat after firing you, and the number of hours you WILL WORK, at minimum. Makes me feel sorry for his wife, if he has one.

3. Shady practices everywhere - almost impossible to make sales without them.

In training, you are taught to "think outside the box." By this, they mean, when your customer fails to have a non-prepaid, non-welfare issued credit or debit card, or if they have a real card but they do not have $1 available on it, you ask them who they know that does. Once you make it over that hurdle, you check their credit, which fails, you ask them who has good credit but is stupid enough to take on financial responsibility for the bill on their behalf. In the event the bum can find someone to pass credit, now you have to pray that they have enough money to pay their first bill, which they dont, because remember they dont have $1, you ask them who has money and is willing to "loan" it to them. Because of all this, successful reps lie to the people that have dollars, valid credit cards, and good credit, by telling them that they are not responsible for the bill in any way. Coaches (mine at least), look the other way. Sorry, I have a conscience.

4. Management plays favorites.

Maybe it was just my coach, but it was extremely obvious who his favorites were. They got as much time off the phones as they wanted, got spoon fed leads in the way of other people's call backs, got to take extended lunches, leave early, etc. HR doesn't care.

5. Hostile work environment.

Even minorities are blatantly racist. Not one day went by (not including training - training was awesome) that I did not hear racist remarks or remarks that were derogatory toward other groups, ie disabled people, older folks, gay people.

6. Lose pay at every turn.

Commission is based primarily on close ratio. If a call drops, or is incorrectly routed, or is someone that already has an account, or hated the previous rep and called to tell you about it, or they need to know what channel is Duck Dynasty on, or whatever - that call counts against you. To be fair, if someone calls and buys with no work, you get credit.

They take away sales as punishment for missing a word on a disclosure that is about 20 pages long and must be read - verbatim - on every sale. Internet must be offered on every call (sale or not), or you lose a sale. Lost sales are compounded for six months. Meaning if you make 10 sales this week, but forget to say something on one, you get paid for 9. Then you make 10 sales next week, but forget to say something on one of them, you lose that sale, plus the one from last week bites you again, so you get paid for 8. And so on. Also, some mistakes cost you 1 sale, some cost you 3 sales. I saw people on my team lose 27 sales in the same week, which he clearly didn't have enough sales to cover that and make a living, so he took the guarantee that week ($10/hr).

If you miss a day or are late (arriving, back from break, or back from lunch) or leave early, you lose 10% of your commission for the week. If you miss another day, or are late again, you lose another 10%.

You are paid on activations, not sales. This means you have to build up a pipeline. So, if you take a vacation, even though it is "paid", the week you come back, you make nothing because there is nothing in your pipe. Top employees won trips while I was there, and they chose to take the cash value and pay taxes on it because taking time off cost them too much money.

7. Benefits suck.

Either the deductible is outrageous, or nothing is covered. I don't get sick, I only need insurance in case of emergency or catastrophic illness. The options available were horrid, and I don't have a family. Not sure how someone with a family would manage to pay the insurance premiums.

8. Hours suck.

Mandatory overtime was abolished during my time there, but that doesn't mean your coach wont try. Also, the shift you are hired for will not be the shift you get when you leave training. I was hired for a 1-9:30 shift tue-sat, but after training I got 10-8 tue/thur/fri/sat. Not including the forced overtime of course. With that, I worked 8AM to 8PM with Sunday and either monday or wednesday off, and virtually no notice as to which it would be. Unless I gave out the fewest free ipads that week, in which case, i would be punished by working sunday. This is a punishment in that there are no calls on sundays, not to mention, ITS SUNDAY!

Bottom Line: If you have a heart or a brain, you will hate working there. They have 85% turnover and its not a surprise. They are so desperate to keep people that when I tried to quit, the HR lady would not let me, suggesting I ask for leave instead. One fellow employee even committed suicide in the parking lot!

Advice to Management

Without a complete overhaul, nothing will change.