DISH - Good projects, but little flexibility for employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Good projects, but little flexibility for employees"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO
Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because of the complexity of the vertically integrated company, IT projects are really cutting edge and we are experienced running some of the biggest CRMs and ERPs in the world. The CIO has won a bunch of awards because we really do practice best practices for in our systems. This is a great opportunity to get experience working on enterprise solutions.

This wasn't always the case, so the last few years have involved a lot of migrations and redundant systems. It was truly challenging, but in the end most of us our quite proud of our accomplishments and contribution.

Cons

Work hours are not flexible. This isn't standard in the IT industry. There's also no opportunity to work from home.

Advice to Management

Allow engineers to have flexible schedules like any other tech company or IT department.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"challenging position in a big organization"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a software developer in the NYC office is a blast. It's a smaller team and so we enjoy some freedom from corporate in Denver. However, our projects are often coordinated between people in Denver, Salt Lake City, and sometimes even LA. We also work some with teams in Eastern Europe. I enjoy working on a spread apart team since it gives us more independence. We do meet fairly often, either in Utah or here in NYC.

Our projects are always focused on new technology: mostly streaming technology for mobile phones and tablets, STBs, and smart TVs. The advantages of working for Dish (compared with other software development jobs in NYC) are:
    - great work/life balance. We show up around 10am and leave before 7pm on most days
    - good pay
    - a lot of responsibilty
    - working on cutting edge technology
    - just enough travel to be fun, but not enough to be tiring

Cons

Corporate changes strategy fairly often. Once we worked on a project for 6 months just to hear that everything had changes. We re-used some of the code, but it was still frustrating.

Advice to Management

Communicate the greater vision with the employees. Especially those of us who are in satellite offices.

"review from rural installations office"

Current Employee - Dish Installer in Rifle, CO
    Current Employee - Dish Installer in Rifle, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working as a Dish installer for almost 2 years, and it's honestly one of the best jobs I've had. After weeks of paid training, I was put out on my own work orders. The feeling of responsibility and self-dependence is great. In addition to good starting pay, there's opportunity to move up if you meet your metrics. The team is tight and supports each other. I look up to my boss who is shows up to help on more difficult jobs. Plus, the company trusts me with a phone, tablet, and a van. This is also the first job I've had with a 401(k) match.

Cons

I'm based in Rifle, so techs do a lot of driving. The workforce management software does not track miles, so our metrics are compared with techs in suburban and urban areas where they can do more installations and service rolls per day. This is a bit unfair.

Advice to Management

Factor distance traveled into metrics. more vacation time?