DISH - Good projects, but little flexibility for employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

"Good projects, but little flexibility for employees"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO
Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because of the complexity of the vertically integrated company, IT projects are really cutting edge and we are experienced running some of the biggest CRMs and ERPs in the world. The CIO has won a bunch of awards because we really do practice best practices for in our systems. This is a great opportunity to get experience working on enterprise solutions.

This wasn't always the case, so the last few years have involved a lot of migrations and redundant systems. It was truly challenging, but in the end most of us our quite proud of our accomplishments and contribution.

Cons

Work hours are not flexible. This isn't standard in the IT industry. There's also no opportunity to work from home.

Advice to Management

Allow engineers to have flexible schedules like any other tech company or IT department.

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

"Fantastic, challenging, rewarding"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

opportunity for growth and getting in on the bottom floor of great future with a company that is going to move into the 21st century with 21st century technology

Cons

Upper level management not moving forward into the 21st century style of management like the rest of the company is after company wide management training

Advice to Management

look closely at the top tiers and verify that they inspiring trust and overall appreciation for what is done by the field

"challenging position in a big organization"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a software developer in the NYC office is a blast. It's a smaller team and so we enjoy some freedom from corporate in Denver. However, our projects are often coordinated between people in Denver, Salt Lake City, and sometimes even LA. We also work some with teams in Eastern Europe. I enjoy working on a spread apart team since it gives us more independence. We do meet fairly often, either in Utah or here in NYC.

Our projects are always focused on new technology: mostly streaming technology for mobile phones and tablets, STBs, and smart TVs. The advantages of working for Dish (compared with other software development jobs in NYC) are:
    - great work/life balance. We show up around 10am and leave before 7pm on most days
    - good pay
    - a lot of responsibilty
    - working on cutting edge technology
    - just enough travel to be fun, but not enough to be tiring

Cons

Corporate changes strategy fairly often. Once we worked on a project for 6 months just to hear that everything had changes. We re-used some of the code, but it was still frustrating.

Advice to Management

Communicate the greater vision with the employees. Especially those of us who are in satellite offices.